Outrageous coin spill... 1 silver dollar, 2 different silver quarters, and more!

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I detected my jobsite for about the Nth time and managed to find a kind of outrageous coin spill on a tiny patch of grass between the sidewalk and the curb. I got a signal by a tree I have detected before but didn't want to try and dig up before because I didn't have the right tools to get under the roots and pinpoint the signal.

I said to heck with it and dug. I had to go between a drainage pipe and roots of the tree to get to the signal. I found 5 coins all scattered about near 9" deep. The first coin I pulled was the 1936 Indian head nickel, then a 1914 wheat penny. Then about 3-5" deeper I pulled my first 1923 freedom dollar, my first standing liberty quarter, and a 1948 silver.

In two days I have found 9 silver coins caually detecting random tiny patches of dirt. This time was in the little holmby area of los angeles near UCLA (an area with a lot of pre 1930's homes).

So here is my shocking diverse coin spill.

20170716_200539~2.jpg

20170716_200518~2.jpg

And this is where I found my coin

20170716_203058.jpg

What a precarious place to find buried trasure!

Attachments

• 20170716_203058.jpg
    20170716_203058.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 36

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that awesome spill, you checked many off the bucket list. Buffalos in Ohio don't come out as clean as yours.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned them up as best as I could here on post. I work executive protection and my clients are out of town so I am just sitting here in the truck with time on my hands lol. Just washed with a bottle of water and rubbed with a rag. The silver peace dollar is nasty on one side still. I almost have all the gunk off.

And yeah I realized today that I killed a lot of things in my detecting bucket list... Lol. Need to fill it up with more now.

I really love the standing livery quarter and the peace dollar. I might mount them to the box I've been building first year of detecting finds.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned them up as best as I could here on post. I work executive protection and my clients are out of town so I am just sitting here in the truck with time on my hands lol. Just washed with a bottle of water and rubbed with a rag. The silver peace dollar is nasty on one side still. I almost have all the gunk off.

And yeah I realized today that I killed a lot of things in my detecting bucket list... Lol. Need to fill it up with more now.

I really love the standing livery quarter and the peace dollar. I might mount them to the box I've been building first year of detecting finds.

Nice finds, but dont scrub them too hard!

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a piece of a cut up t-shirt. Super soft and I'm using a light touch. Cleaned up the penny perfectly along with the nickel. The only thing that needs help is the silver dollar.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen a buffalo nickel, (or any nickel for that matter) come outta the ground looking like that. Maybe someone just dropped em there last week...

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took some elbow grease. And the soil under the roots was unusually soft I'm thinking the soil it sat in has something to do with it.

It did not come out looking that good. It had a layer if crust on it

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's about as varied and awesome a mix of coins I've ever seen in a spill- Congrats on a great find!

-- Jeff --

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SpencerK, If the silver coins are NOT key date coins, but instead nice keepers, (OF which they ARE), try baking soda and water mix, like a toothpaste, stick them in there for awhile, then you can rub them with your fingers under running water, they should come out looking really nice. By the way, 9" deep with roots, lots of effort, and this time with really GREAT results.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds some bucket listers a whole batch of different ones sweeeeet

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all of the great coins. I have had very good luck hunting those small unnoticed patches of dirt, simply because every one else passes them up.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice find. Now you're gonna expect that every time you go out. Which is a good thing. Jealous, here.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice coin spill find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in disbelief. My client was even more shocked. But mostly because his dog apparently takes its dumps and leaks on the tree I was digging around..

I should probably wash my hands again for good measure LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds.
&
A Cool job you have imo.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds.
&
A Cool job you have imo.

Honestly the job gets boring and the pay isn't the best but it does give me time to work on my own stuff on the clock. Sometimes I do some gunsmithing work to my rock island 1911, sometimes I do woodworking, when my clients are gone or I don't need to be super alert I can metal detect, and sometimes I deal with protests. I never know what my day is going to be like.

But I have found my peace dollar, and a bunch of my other silver coins, in this tiny patch of grass (along with this most recent coin spill and about $40 in clad quarters... The other patches in the area only had target or two each...)

20170717_154611~2.jpg

And I just hit it with my minelab go find 60 about 10 minutes ago (i've only ever hunted here with my bounty hunter TIV, the minelab came in the mail this morning) and I marked off 6 more targets that I haven't found before even though I've detected the exact spots I marked off a bunch of times. And the ensitivity is only 3 out of 5. Hopefully I'll have time to dig them tonight...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it that lost coins migrate to tree roots? Something I have never figured out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread