New York Militia button, flying eagle, large cent,token and more.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well had my first hunt in US with a great host Ken ''Z.K.'' from Vermont. Really enjoyed my week end stay and spent a great time in the awesome company learning the history of the region from the person who obviously enjoys history and relics hunting as much as I do, if not more.
Got a few interesting finds that I have very little chance to find in Canada.

My best would be the New York Militia button. Was really happy with the state I found it in.

20170716_234257[1312].jpg

An other interesting find is 1835 US large cent also in a decent shape. It's funny but most of the Halfpenny tokens I find in Canada are dated 1835 so I guess it follows me in US

DSC_1669.JPG
DSC_1664.JPG

A few Indian heads, a flying eagle cent in so so shape(seems like they are rarer, I had no idea)

DSC_1677.JPG

An interesting token from L.M. Cotton that seems to promote their trailers equipped with '' Hassler shock's''.
Hassler shock's I believe were also installed on the Ford's Model T which I find cool.

DSC_1674.JPG
DSC_1675.JPG
23995415969_e31d121c50_b.jpg

A nice gold guilt flat button.

DSC_1683.JPG

Also a dozen or so beautiful decorative large and small 19th century buttons and a large brass buckle (unfortunately no pics).

Awesome time spent South of the border (Canadian border that is :laughing7:) Really enjoyed the company and the hunts!

Last edited:
Upvote 41

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. It's the year of the Flying Eagle apparently. Ahab and I also found our first FE's within the last month. Not to take away from the excellent NY militia button which is a great find. Nice largie to boot. I'm glad to hear you had a great time with ZK. He's a friend of a good friend, and I hear he's a super guy. You're always welcome in Jersey.

Steve

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer button man :occasion14:. I'm also impressed you got a FE cent... that's a tougher coin to come by in The States. Sounds like you guys had a great time and you couldn't ask for a nicer host

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish a flying eagle would land in my neck of the woods, LOL Thanks for the great post looks like you had fun. Great finds!!!!!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was sure that you'd hunt down something interesting if it was there...but to pull a flying eagle out in under 5 hours of detecting in the US? C'mon! So happy you came away with a solid trifecta of button, coin, buckle, and then some. Nice work on the restoration, too; I still have a lot to learn in that department.

Good times in beautiful places with people that share the passion and ethics of the hobby is a great thing. Glad you came.

I won't be able to post till the weekend due to some deadlines I have to meet, but I'll include the finds you didn't. I'll also explain why I now have to get a Deus...8-)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
glad you had such a successful visit, you seem to have found very good finds and probably friends for life. congrats

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finds are way cool but, getting together with another member in this community and sharing our passion for recovering history is awesome. Thanks for sharing and congrats on hauling some US booty home with you.:icon_thumleft:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You sure had a nice hunt in Vermont.
Beautiful button and large cent.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great trip with some pretty good results! Congrats on all, and that button is the icing on the cake

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always amazed when anybody finds a Flying Eagle cent - they effectively made these for TWO years ( the 1856 is virtually a pattern coin in terms of rarity ).

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Sweet flying eagles and IHPs! It's been a while since I've unearthed one. Can't wait to find my next!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that must have been some fine ground. Congratulations on the awesome assortment !!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunts- some really sweet finds- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes, we don't know which find we like better--they all are incredible and in nice shape. Congrats. -Lisa & John

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, that looks like a great day diggin to me! Congrats on all the good stuff! Can you tell us a little bit about how you cleaned the largie and the button? They look great

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you were digging in some very kind soil. Congratulations on several very nice finds :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread