Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... It happened. 2 weeks ago my hunting buddy and I were out at one of his sites...and I got a very nice 1820 Bust Dime. It was under a bunch of nails so it sounded rough on the CTX. But, it gave solid numbers so I reluctantly dug it. Definitely glad I did. He was so jealous that he cussed at me for about an hour (all in good fun). He kills me in coppers every year but somehow I manage a lot of silver.

Fast forward to today. We haven't been out since, and because last time I scored at HIS site it was my turn to pick the area. We hit a few sites including a new permission I got from a client. We hiked for miles but couldn't find the MAIN site I was looking for. Most of the spots in that area have been virgin (or barely touched) due to their location. So, we hit them and he scored an Indian and a Wheat and a cool old pen. I found some odd ball stuff including a bell, musketball and about 200 shotgun shells....

After we leave we decide to head for another spot. We are driving and out of the corner of my eye, I see a cellar hole barely visible from the road. Nothing was posted so in we went. About 5 minutes into the hunt I scored a nice flat button only a couple inches deep. Then...he yells "oh my god, your never gonna believe this!" Typically that saying isn't for something minor, so I went over. He held out his hand and dropped the coin into my palm.. I always try not to look immediately (to add suspense) but the huge THUD is made about ruined it. He found a crisp 1827 Bust Half Dollar about 5 ft from the cellar hole wall and 4" deep...

We high fived, danced around like fools for a minute... then immediately went back to detecting. I ended up finding another huge flat button and that was it. The flies were brutal so after 1/2 hour we decided to call it. Definitely a huge bucket list find for him, and I couldn't be happier to watch a friend pull something like that! Its gonna be tough to top that next hunt, but he says he will deliver a sweet list of sites next hunt. Hope you all have found time to hunt, and good luck!

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG

Upvote 29

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'

great coin .I like the Bell also. Great post My turn to get Busted!!!!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what this hunting is all about. Sharing in the adventure of the hunt and giving kudos to your mates when they hit the Mother Load. I would have been dancing like I was having a seizure or just had a seizure altogether. Reminds me of the time my buddy scraped a huge 1700's reale off a sidewalk strip here in Illinois. He didn't know what he had and showed it to me and I started hooping and dancing in the middle of the street!:tongue3: Man, I love this sport. Great story and recoveries. Keep sharing and having a ball with your buds.:hello2:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, really beautiful big silver! it would be hard to contain yourself after a find like that! having a good friend or partner to hunt with makes special moments even more special. congrats on the awesome finds

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT'S a silver half! Wow, congrats to your buddy on a top shelf find.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a super find !!! Great post !! Nothing like a little camaraderie out amongst the Flies...:thumbsup:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bust half...wow!! Congrats on finding something great and elusive that alot of us here never will...absolutely beautiful! Ddf

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Nothing was posted so in we went."

That's just wrong in so my ways. You might guys might of dug something good, but fell hard on the ethics ladder in my books. Sorry but no thumbs up from me on this one.
Permission is first, and gaining the trust of the landowner is the reward in detecting, everything that comes after is a bonus.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are 2 nice coins, but I agree with pepperj on the permission thing. I spend many hours finding owners and getting permission. What if you did the research and obtained permission and someone slipped in on it?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the beautiful large silver! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TheGreatNorth

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Nothing was posted so in we went."

That's just wrong in so my ways. You might guys might of dug something good, but fell hard on the ethics ladder in my books. Sorry but no thumbs up from me on this one.
Permission is first, and gaining the trust of the landowner is the reward in detecting, everything that comes after is a bonus.

Let me clear this up for you.

In Maine, you are allowed to traverse, detect, hunt, or whatever on land as long as it is not posted "No Trespassing". Because there are vast areas of woods here, it is VERY common for landowners to allow use to "the public" as long as there is respect shown to the land. Our first hunt was on POSTED, "No Trespassing" Property. I was given permission by the landowner specifically. The site in question was down the road a ways.

I wanted to clear that up for you, as you seem to be judging...without knowing what the situation is. I assume you thought we were breaking some rule or violating an "ethics" code. Not such the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGreatNorth

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are 2 nice coins, but I agree with pepperj on the permission thing. I spend many hours finding owners and getting permission. What if you did the research and obtained permission and someone slipped in on it?

Up here, when the land is open to anyone, people do move in on our sites. It's unfortunate, but unavoidable unless it's a Posted Permission.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that's a beauty of a coin
Team work paid off

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You buddy definitely hit the jackpot-that's a beautiful capped bust half. Congrats to him and to you for your old silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions