Colonial Silver Knee Buckle, Capped Dime, Awesome LC, and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend, I was able to get a full weekend of hunting in and it was great to spend a couple days outdoors finding some history. I had been having skunked water hunts the last month or so, so it was great to finally get my coil over a few keepers. I put in a lot of hours last weekend and was rewarded with a few really nice finds.... my favorite being something I always wanted to find, but never thought I would... a complete colonial SILVER knee buckle. And a close second was a well worn Capped Bust Dime with a date of 182? (something) and a really nice LC.

IMG_20170719_071420.jpg

This buckle turned up after a day of spending 9 hours hunting with nothing but 1 flat button and a pack full of trash to show for my efforts. It was shaping up to be one of those days that TNet never hears about. And then this happened...

IMG_20170716_135135.jpg

Finding a silver frame colonial buckle is something I had always wished would happen, so you all will have to excuse the amount of pictures that are about to follow... After the insitu picture above, I spent some time enjoy the find and taking pictures, before a little field cleaning with a bottle of water. :headbang:

IMG_20170716_135152.jpg
IMG_20170716_140056.jpg

After 250+ years in the ground, the iron anchor chape, tongue and pin had deposited some areas of rust scale on top of the silver. Once home, I was able to remove most of the rust with a toothpick, however a few stubborn spots remain which I am leaving so I don't scratch the silver.

IMG_20170716_181642.jpg

This is a "supermodel" of relics for me, so I had to do a photo shoot :laughing7:

IMG_20170719_071537.jpg

I was really hoping there would be a makers mark or a hallmark... or any mark on it, but its blank. According to the Whitehead buckle book, if this is British made, it most likely falls between 1739 and 1790... I suppose it could also be American made as well. Either way, its most likely sometime in the second half of the 18th century.

Screenshot_20170717-134413-2.png

Its been a good weekend of swinging when a Capped Bust Dime is your second best find. :laughing7: I don't dig much silver... in the 1000's of plugs I dig every year, I maybe see silver in them a few times. So it was a very rare event for me to dig two pieces of early silver in one weekend. This was a killer signal and when I popped the plug I saw a thin silver disk in the bottom of the hole. Because of how thin it was, I figured it was going to be a piece of Spanish. A field rinse with a water bottle revealed a well worn Capped Bust... which had me smiling for the rest of the day.

IMG_20170715_113602.jpg

Once home, I gave it a better rinse. There is some light scratching on the reverse from the rocky soil it was in... probably caused when the dirt was moved around when I dug the plug. I can barely make out a 182? date on it... maybe a 4 or a 6. Funny thing, I still haven't dug a seated coin and this is my second capped silver, with the first being a half dollar a couple years ago. :dontknow:

IMG_20170719_071659.jpg

And finally a beautiful 1833 LC.

IMG_20170719_071714.jpg

And the three of my best find from the weekend.

IMG_20170719_071745.jpg

Another interesting relic was this Smith's Bile Beans bottle that I found while digging. Its tiny and from the 1880s or 1890s and used to contain some laxative pills with a cork in the top.

IMG_20170716_183521.jpg

A nice CW GS coat button turned up as well as the usual variety of flat buttons, tombac buttons and various relics.

IMG_20170719_071459.jpg IMG_20170719_071430.jpg

There are a couple keeper iron relics that I don't have time to process just yet. Perhaps I will include them in a future post once everything is preserved.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 52

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got a few pieces of the keeper iron from this hunt preserved. One of the tack buckles still has some silver plating on it. Both of the axe heads are stamped GW Bradley which is always nice to find markings after electrolysis.

View attachment 1475915

View attachment 1475914

And the silver knee buckle and capped bust dime are in their final spots, at the top of a colonial brick podium, in one of my displays :headbang: I had to make room, so they knocked a few finds down to lower levels... I can't imagine what sort of find could possibly kick them off the top of those bricks. :laughing7:

View attachment 1475913

Those are some killer finds on the brick pyramid. What coin is on the top of the stack?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some killer finds on the brick pyramid. What coin is on the top of the stack?

Thanks man.. that's the capped dime and silver buckle at the top. There's some DB's, a NJ and KGI at the base. I bring home and scrub bricks from time to time to use in displays. I have many piles like these in multiple display cases.. it increases the shelf area giving me something to lean and stack relics on... and its a cool contrast.

IMG_20170725_122648.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm late to this party - Wow - what can i say that has not already been said , amazing finds !!

Thank you Argentium! I really appreciate it.

Really cool finds. I love the bottle. Those cork tops from back then always look good in a display case, especially one like that. And that colonial stuff is just great, you just cant find that stuff out West.

Thank you Old Pueblo! I really want to learn more about bottle digging. I've done a lot of trash pit digging, but one day I hope to get into some privy digging. Bottles always look great in a display.

That knee buckle is to die for

Thanks birdman! I totally agree... its in a short list of my favorite relics.

Congrats on a pile of great relics! Thanks for posting the cleaned up artifact pics, I appreciate seeing them cleaned up as well. SWEET !
HH

Thank you EasternShoreMetal! I really appreciate hearing when people enjoy the amount of photos I put up. For each picture I post, there are 10 others that didn't make the cut... I typically do different lighting and angles, then have to pick the clearest and best ones... sometimes I have to retake some when I am writing the post because they're blurry. It takes a lot of time, so its nice to hear when people enjoy that. I probably took 100 pictures of that buckle :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could dig stuff like that every day for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner bump!

I voted banner for this one since these things are almost never found. Congrats bud

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sensational finds. That buckle is fantastic as is the large cent. Congrats.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner bump!

I voted banner for this one since these things are almost never found. Congrats bud

I really appreciate that man. :occasion14:

Sensational finds. That buckle is fantastic as is the large cent. Congrats.

Thanks a ton Gary! Definitely a find I wont ever forget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread