First Indian head cent!

Walt82

May 30, 2017
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Indian head cent about 10 feet away from where I pulled my great seal button out. I think it an 1899, any ideas on cleaning it, like boiling peroxide seems popular on the ol interwebs? image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 21

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats there is nothing like your first Indian. Plus you broke into the 1800's at the same time. With the amount of corrosion I don't think cleaning would do it much good if it was mine I would do an olive oil soak

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH, Congrats on your first!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding your first of any type of coin is always great- Congrats and here's hoping there's many more to come!

-- Jeff --

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Indian. I also soak my copper coins in Olive Oil for a week or so. It will give it a little sheen.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first 1800s coin. If it were mine I'd give it repeated soaks in the hot peroxide for 15 seconds at a time, then use a toothpick to scrape off any loose crud, and repeat until it's obvious that no more detail will be brought up. Then I'd give it a soak in mineral oil to finish it off...
Keep hunting, I bet there's more where that one came from:occasion14:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys olive oil is no good for your coins, and has been linked to "bronze disease" and other problems down the road. Use only distilled water to do soak and then dry at 250f and use microcrystaline wax to seal while still warm

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first IHC!

A true piece of American history. Keep checking the area, perhaps a Barber will show up... they hang out with the Indians.

Best of luck to you!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! I went over a year before I finally found my first Indian, then, they started popping up all over! Hope it's the same for you.
I invested in a small ultrasonic cleaner. It's was not expensive, maybe $35.00 or so. It mainly just cleans out all the dirt on and in the coin.
Often then the coin or relic feels a little rough, because the dirt has eaten pores into the metal, but a coat of wax will bring that back to feeling smooth
and protect it from any other oxidation.
With non-valuable coins you can get a little more aggressive if you want, I think that coin will clean up pretty well. (PM me if you want to know what I mean by "aggressive")
Good luck and congrats again! HH.

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no peroxide. This is your first Indian You only get one first. Don't do to much to it for now. Listen to Tpmetal.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow, congrats!

Believe it or not, an Indian Head Penny is the first old coin I ever found, even before a wheat penny!

My brother and I got a cheap detector 12 years ago to hunt a sandy lot where a coin hunt is hosted for kids every 4th of July. Little did we know that the history of that area went back 100+ years. The Indian Head was so corroded that I didn't even notice it was significant when we first uncovered it.

When my brother and I split the haul for the day it ended up in his stack. He said "doesn't something look funny about this to you"? We cleaned it up a bit and saw the date, 1904!

We called my dad (who knows all about old coins) and he told us about the history behind what we found. Such an amazing feeling knowing you're holding that piece of history in your hand.

Like others said, here's to many others! 12 years later, I'm still looking to break into the 1800s. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread