Good news 2 Gold, Bad news got water in my machine plus it gets worse

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Started out fine this morning, new beach I hadn't detected before only a couple miles from my usual haunt. Found a bunch of coins, then an 18K ring with a bunch of English hallmarks, also an old 10K religious pendant, this came out encrusted, took some serious cleaning. Even found a Merc dime which is rare around here. Oh yeah and a dollar coin, well it's from New Zealand does that count? ;D Bad news, my machine started getting quieter and when I looked at it could see moisture inside. Put it in the car, started to drive off, (remember awhile back I left my scoop?) same thing, I left it on the passenger side of the vehicle and this time when I drove off I ran it over, Pancaked it. Shutup Boobydoo!!!!! I managed to hammer it out, it'll never be the same, it doesn't want to go back in the car :D
Tried CRC to dry it out, still screwed up. Any suggestions? Aloha

Attachments

• 8-9-07-1.jpg
    8-9-07-1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 750
  • 8-9-07-2.jpg
    8-9-07-2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 761
  • 8-9-07-3.jpg
    8-9-07-3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 763
  • 8-9-07-4.jpg
    8-9-07-4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 761
Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Would the spray can for cleaning computer keyboards and interal components work? I use it to clean the external parts of my Eagle Spectrum. You may want to get some silica packs and put them with the main unit in a box for a week or so to see if they will absorb the moisture out first.

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
nc-joe said:
Would the spray can for cleaning computer keyboards and interal components work? I use it to clean the external parts of my Eagle Spectrum. You may want to get some silica packs and put them with the main unit in a box for a week or so to see if they will absorb the moisture out first.
Theres a silica pack in it, and I even changed it out. Flushed it with fresh water 1st, then electronics cleaner. Wait and see.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Having the detector of the fritz, very near death is a tramatic thing to go through finderman. Our machines are almost like a family member, we love them so I hope your little baby is ok. It's understandable that you forgot about the scooper due to the waterlogged machine. Cash in the clad and get a new super scooper I guess. I think it's destiny that this one has left you for the planet of broken, lost, and crushed digging tools. :)

Nice ring and pendant by the way, sweet finds!! Cngrats and god luck next time. Hope the machine is fine.

Smiles!
BDoo

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
I'm an electronics tech. Leave it off with no power and no battery for a couple of days. The longer the better. It should come right back to life once it's dried out.
The hard part is what your going to do with yourself while it does!
You could open it up and yes, use a blow drier, but don't blast the components with high heat, you will damage them, a nice warm breeze and time should do it.
Good luck!

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Boobydoo said:
Having the detector of the fritz, very near death is a tramatic thing to go through finderman. Our machines are almost like a family member, we love them so I hope your little baby is ok. It's understandable that you forgot about the scooper due to the waterlogged machine. Cash in the clad and get a new super scooper I guess. I think it's destiny that this one has left you for the planet of broken, lost, and crushed digging tools. :)

Nice ring and pendant by the way, sweet finds!! Cngrats and god luck next time. Hope the machine is fine.

Smiles!
BDoo
I know how much you raz "Rick" for backing over his metal detector, so I was expecting it. I hammered out the scoop, though it'll never be the same.

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Kut2TheChase said:
I'm an electronics tech. Leave it off with no power and no battery for a couple of days. The longer the better. It should come right back to life once it's dried out.
The hard part is what your going to do with yourself while it does!
You could open it up and yes, use a blow drier, but don't blast the components with high heat, you will damage them, a nice warm breeze and time should do it.
Good luck!
Thanks for the much needed help. Aloha

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Sorry about your crushed scoop and wet detector.

Hopefully the machine will work fine when it's dried out.

I was thinking of you when I saw the lava flow activity out there. I'd keep the new scoop away from lava. That's my advice. :D

Meanwhile. Congratulations on an excellent hunt!

Ridley

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Ridley said:
Sorry about your crushed scoop and wet detector.

Hopefully the machine will work fine when it's dried out.

I was thinking of you when I saw the lava flow activity out there. I'd keep the new scoop away from lava. That's my advice. :D

Meanwhile. Congratulations on an excellent hunt!

Ridley
I only live about 8 miles from the lava, as the crow fly's. Thanks Ridley

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the flat scoop and the wet detector-but the good news is that you live in HAWAII!!! ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:( Ouch on both counts. Nice bunch of finds but one heck of a price to pay! Next time your out hunting tie a string around your finger. Hope your back out there soon!

Desertfox

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ridley said:

Perhaps instead he should go toss the scoop in the lava as a sacrifice to the detector/scoop gods and get a new one. ;)

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Lasivian said:
Ridley said:

Perhaps instead he should go toss the scoop in the lava as a sacrifice to the detector/scoop gods and get a new one. ;)
That's the best advice yet! Mahalo

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would guess since you are in Hawaii that it was salt water that got into your machine. I am not an expert by any means but I do know that salt water wreaks havoc on electrical wiring. It may be a good idea to take it in and get it cleaned and serviced. Good luck, Charlie

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
savant365 said:
I would guess since you are in Hawaii that it was salt water that got into your machine. I am not an expert by any means but I do know that salt water wreaks havoc on electrical wiring. It may be a good idea to take it in and get it cleaned and serviced. Good luck, Charlie
Thanks Charlie, just got off the phone with Whites. They're going to replace it, Great, I'm already having detecting withdrawls ;D

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
When your scoop dries out it ought to be OK, but beating the detector back into shape doesn't allways work. Hate to hear That you are down for a while. It's good they are going to replace it though. Hopefully that won't take too long. Us addicts can't go that long without our fix. Good luck buddy, and keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread