Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecting

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecting

Today while watching the Washington State Dept of Fish and Wildlife meeting it was stated numerous times that the Dept will no longer issue permits for "recreational uses" of State Resources on lands covered by the Dept. This includes Recreational mining and even Rockhounding. Detector usage falls under "Mining"

Evidently a federal requirement has been issued that any funding provided to the states on land containing fiah and wildlife resources jointly managed will require a Cultural Significance review before any type of activity that involves "Breaking the ground Level" is permitted.

http://www.dahp.wa.gov/pages/EnvironmentalReview/EnvironmentalReviewOverview.htm

It was stated by the assistant Director of the Department that at the present time before they are able to repair any fence which might require a posthole they are required to "have a review performed".

One commission member then asked if that meant a review would be required before any razor clam digging would be allowed on ocean beaches, as this activity seemed to meets the federal requirements for a review. While he did not receive a specific answer on his question, the director did say that it would appear to read that way.

Two states already require this review, of which Oregon is one. Frankly, if this passes the committee I can see where Metal Detecting is a thing of the past in Washington State..

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecting

It makes you wonder what the hell they are thinking... I hope that crazy Sh!% stays west of Montana...

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecting

WOW! Thats all i got to say about that I am so Glad I am involved in bolth ways out here on east coast I am an member of the Archoloigest community and a metal detectorist, hope all works out for ya
sincerely Gman64

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Crap. These government types get so wrapped up in themselves and their own perceived importance that they completely lose sight of reality. Is there someplace the metal detecting community can e mail those morons? Personally I'd love to tell them to get their collective heads out of their collective a$$es!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

The governmental "appropriation" of tax payer owned property really torques me off. Really when it comes down to it they don't have the right to just make those kind of decisions without consulting the taxpayers that own it(at least in a democracy). It's just another step further to more strict federal control. There are many alternatives to the "total ban" of metal detecting. They regulate hunting, and it works just fine. They regulate fishing and the resource is stronger than it has ever been. I have no arguement withe the issuance of a permit for state/federal parks, it would add revenue to the system, and make it much easier to catch people who were abusing the parks. They could even have times of the year that were "off-limits" for detecting, so dry grass doesn't get torn up.

I have no idea how to get these people to listen, but if anyone does, send them some GOOD ideas that people can actually live with. These parks belong to ALL of us, and I understand the need to protect them, but they don't have the right to just "kick" certain activities or people out.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

This is only on lands managed by the Department of Fish & Wildlife (which are few). What this means is that if the State of Washington wants any federal funding for any projects that require digging (bridges, trails, restrooms, ect) on dept of fish & wildlife managed lands that an environmental impact study will have to be done. The Department of fish & wildlife is exactly that........fish & wildlife. They do manage some lands, but not much, and certainly not any inside any incorporated city limits. As far as their decision to stop giving out permits, they never gave them out in the first place. The only permit that they could have given out (but never did) was called a JARPA, and was related to small scale mining (recreational mining). Basically the JARPA was to allow some to mine outside of the general open season (yes, those nuggets need to not be disturbed during the mating season so they can produce little nuggets).

So, no, there is no current threat to metal detecting in Washington State. But give it time. Even if it is banned, I will detect until they throw me in jail, at which point I will get a good lawyer, and a willing doctor to say that I have a mental disorder ( I am sure I am a victom of my parents strick & loving upbringing) and in order to keep me stable I have to metal detect. Heck, with a disorder like that, I can probably claim total disability & stop working collect social security & disability so I can detect even more.

Paul

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:-\ Just one more way to try and keep the little guy down. It might be time for a second Tea Party!
HH while we still can.

Desertfox

OP
OP
G

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Re: Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecti

Paul, it was specifically stated during the meeting that ALL land resources in the state were considered to effect fish and wildlife health.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Time for a Recall petition.
That's the only type of thing these trough-hogs listen to.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

"Today while watching the Washington State Dept of Fish and Wildlife meeting it was stated numerous times that the Dept will no longer issue permits for "recreational uses" of State Resources on lands covered by the Dept."

Lands covered by the Department. Even if they did ban detecting, I would still go. This sounds like it is aimed at the recreational mining community (which is usually the case).

Paul

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Found: WA State will require a "Cultural Significance Review" Before Detecti

Paul in Wa said:
Even if it is banned, I will detect until they throw me in jail, at which point I will get a good lawyer, and a willing doctor to say that I have a mental disorder ( I am sure I am a victom of my parents strick & loving upbringing) and in order to keep me stable I have to metal detect.

I'm headed out to the peninsula in three weeks. I'll bail you out of Jail ;)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

People who metal detect in every city ought to contact their local TV stations. Most of these stations have a community affairs or interest department. Try to get them to do a story on metal detecting. Not the kind of story as to why we do it, what we find, or anything of that nature. You have to have an angle that everyone is interested in, or up in arms about, but mostly scared of. The best angle now days is the safty of "the children". We need to get them to do stories of all the "dangerous" things we remove from their kids playing areas. The trash, pull tabs, shredded aluminium, rusty nails, razor blades, etc. We need to show them that we are actually cleaning up the parks and wilderness areas that we hunt way beyond what the paid employees are doing. Use the government the way they use us. Make us scared of something, show us a solution, and with this solution get one step closer to getting control. The angle of approach is the key to getting recognized.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Wow. Why can't people just be a little bit right or left of center? Why do they always gotta be radical right or left? I think this might fall on the left side. Morons.

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GrantWA,
I have been a resident of Oregon for 55 years and am not aware of any permit (except for State and County Parks) or review that is required in order to MD in Oregon.
Do you have any specifics on this regulation/law as it relates to Oregon?
Thanks,
Foxtonames

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread