How can i determine what year span this spanish half real cob is from?

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine told me he "deep plowed" two portions of his field the other day. Today i took the day off and detected both. Mostly cans with small bits of random copper, lead, and iron scrap. Started off the second portion of the field and got half way through the first row and saw two other friends walking over to me. I kept detecting along the edge of the plowed field as they walked up and got a solid 74 signal on my mxt. This usually means a copper cent or a half real. I told my friends and unplugged my detector so they could hear it. Popped the plug up and moved in with my carrot. Lost it a couple times in the soft dirt and then found a spanish half real cob where i thought for sure a memorial pre 81' cent was going to be. My friends didnt get it. They were slightly amused by the possible age of the coin, but that was about where their interest stopped. Someone please help me figure out when this thing is from. I believe i see a 76 or a 56, or maybe its upsidedown. I dont know please help find the date. I took pics with my loupe. The 1901 barber dime is to compare sizes. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

Upvote 20
OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is one amazing coin. Now the question is...How are you going to top it? I think I might just hand up my detector and call it a career. Congratulations!!!

Im not sure, silvermonkey, ill just have to keep on hunting till i find something that tops this! And dont hang up your detector just yet! Im sure youve got plenty of awesome stuff in the ground around you in eastern mass. Thanks for the congrats!

Edit: after checking out a few of your posts im gonna take a long shot and say youre gonna hold onto your detector. That seated half is infallible! Havent gotten one of those yet!

Last edited:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a killer coin! Jealous... Congrats! Wow

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice nice. I concur with 1 reale and 1656. Pillars and waves style on the one side.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a nice find
Congrats

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terrific cob. That cross is fantastic. No doubt about that bold date either. And 2 dates...really nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread