Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a friend over, we were going to go gold panning in the creek, but I was too tired and the creek was up some due to the rains. So I have lost two Mercs in my test garden, they are still lost. Figured I'd try to find them...again. Afterwards, we decided to hunt the hill behind my house. I popped out a matron large cent, well toasted. Also a buff, merc, 1917 and a 1945P war nickel. Got junk and semi previous aluminum. And parts to an old iron barbed wire fence. And some light bulb bases. The 1840's house on the top of the hill behind me, well they still throw stuff down my bank. I pulled a barber dime, mercs, buffs and a ton of wheaties out of the lawn up there. My hill was the "sledding" hill.

My buddy is getting squat. Except for the semi precious aluminum. So I dig another wasted copper, but he id's it as a 1795 large cent! Not too bad, I dug a tombac button a few minutes later, all these targets were within 20 feet of each other.

Then I hear a mild scream, the detector and shovel are thrown on the ground, he is walking in a drunken like circle. I ask, what did you get?

Ok, so 30 or so feet from the house I have lived in for 40 years he finds an 1852 gold $1.

Never bothered to detect it before much because all I got were aluminum cans.

in the last 7 months two gold rings, 1 huge silver ring, 4 small gold nuggets (from the creek and bedrock) and now a US gold coin!

Is this the twilight zone? I didn't get a picture of anything. Had to come in for a happy nap. Can you imagine how many times these items have been run over by the lawnmower? Going to the beach tomorrow.

Upvote 41

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a permission at an old colonial home and found a toasted KG something or other. Best friend says, "you never take me to your good spots." So, I get him permission and he finds a beautiful 1739 KG. :BangHead: I wanted to slit his throat. :violent1:
I can't imaging if it had been a $1 gold coin.
Good on you for sharing your spot.......let it be a lesson. :laughing7:

That said, I just asked permission for my father in law to hunt one of my good spots that I've found at least 13 silvers from. I hope they say NO. :angry9:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoketthecat I think you are a good man I would have let them have whatever they found it is the absolute right thing to do. I applaud you for that. I just cant imagine it!!!!!!!! Hope it never happens to me, anything but a gold coin !!!!!!! I really hope you get your Karma

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found THREE gold coins in my long and sort of boring MD career. It was so much fun, watching him do the freak out dance, I wouldn't have wanted to miss it. When I find a real goodie, which I have many times in the past, almost never has anyone been there to witness it. This was nice. But my front lawn, hello, aluminum cans! Got 3 acres, we have hit a few hundred feet of it. Rocks for brains here never thought past the aluminum in the past. Now that a lot of that is out of the way, we're starting to find things. That honker moonstone and sterling ring from a few weeks ago was only about an inch or so deep. I almost had a cow when I dug it up. House behind mine built in 1840's. Two next to them 1880's and 1904 and on the other end of my property is a 1790 property. No, never thought anything would be here. One day I'll learn to think out of the box. And remember, all this stuff is just STUFF. Friendship is much more important.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely put your right on that!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were just being a good host.
The plan was to find gold, doesn't matter what shape its in.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know....this one would go good in the post linked in my signature. ;)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think his freak out dance may have gone banner for ya!
You need a body cam, next time, you can always edit parts.
Well done i count the gold coin as "shared" you did provide the place, thus the gold!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WERE STILL FRIENDS LOL WP_20170802_14_56_05_Pro (2).jpg WP_20170802_14_56_24_Pro.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good going!

I always used to bring a pal with me, some 5+ years ago. I always loved the competition thing we had going.
These days, I'm mostly searching myself. Occasionally I actually miss the company. Most of the time I'm just glad not having to hear him moaning over my finds.:laughing7:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh now I'm putting two and two together you're THE friend! I wish both you and Smokeythecat the best of luck on your next treasure hunting endeavor. Maybe you could take him somewhere next time and he could find the gold.

Nail on the head. We hunt together almost every week. We share sites and finds. I have some colonial sites she loves and she has civil sites that I love. Works out great for the both of us. If something amazing is found we rock paper scissors LOL Were a good team Shes the brains I'm the muscle. If you call these muscles lol

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're planning a trip to the Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas early next year. Now THAT's a tough dig. I've been three times, found three TINY diamonds.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The luck were having this past year who knows. LOL Sounds like fun

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been my best year since 1989! Found over 50 marked Revolutionary War buttons that year and my first cannon ball. First gold coin was found, I think, 2012, it's posted here somewhere, second in 2016 and now I have a third this year! I've had a good run.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread