Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a friend over, we were going to go gold panning in the creek, but I was too tired and the creek was up some due to the rains. So I have lost two Mercs in my test garden, they are still lost. Figured I'd try to find them...again. Afterwards, we decided to hunt the hill behind my house. I popped out a matron large cent, well toasted. Also a buff, merc, 1917 and a 1945P war nickel. Got junk and semi previous aluminum. And parts to an old iron barbed wire fence. And some light bulb bases. The 1840's house on the top of the hill behind me, well they still throw stuff down my bank. I pulled a barber dime, mercs, buffs and a ton of wheaties out of the lawn up there. My hill was the "sledding" hill.

My buddy is getting squat. Except for the semi precious aluminum. So I dig another wasted copper, but he id's it as a 1795 large cent! Not too bad, I dug a tombac button a few minutes later, all these targets were within 20 feet of each other.

Then I hear a mild scream, the detector and shovel are thrown on the ground, he is walking in a drunken like circle. I ask, what did you get?

Ok, so 30 or so feet from the house I have lived in for 40 years he finds an 1852 gold $1.

Never bothered to detect it before much because all I got were aluminum cans.

in the last 7 months two gold rings, 1 huge silver ring, 4 small gold nuggets (from the creek and bedrock) and now a US gold coin!

Is this the twilight zone? I didn't get a picture of anything. Had to come in for a happy nap. Can you imagine how many times these items have been run over by the lawnmower? Going to the beach tomorrow.

Upvote 41

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1852 gold 1 dollar coin....and NO PICTURES!? O don't tease us like that Smokey..we wants to see!! Congrats on everything, would also like to see the 1795 Largie...Ddf

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even think to get a picture of it. I was just stunned. And so sore if I would have thought to get a picture, don't think could have made the trip inside to find the camera. I'll get the pics of mine up tomorrow. Got to get to bed to turn right around and get up and go to the beach to see if there was an erosion. I'm sure he will post it.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, oh, Man! I always wonder how many times I SHOULD have gone back and check, but usually never do. Food for thought....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were chasing our tails digging up that stupid iron wire which was reading in the 90's. I was using the Deus and he has an At Pro. Stupid gold hiding iron wire.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a club have a few drinks and beat yourself with it severely Then find a way to kick yourself. Then when you wake up tomorrow do it again and be good with it. That or chop it in half. I know its a buddy and friend but that has to STING!!!!!Find another one in your yard and it might ease the pain.If it was me I would give it to you!!!!!! crazy situation!!!!!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man,oh man....But I think it wasn't yours to find. These are some top grade lands you're hunting.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top grade, yes we have several top grade sites but whoever thinks of your own lawn as top grade? More like dog food. I detected it a little once but after the 20th aluminum can quit. Back then I didn't realize than was when it started getting good, after the aluminum was out of the way. Didn't go to the beach. Couldn't move.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just insane.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had issues with the camera but will try to upload anyway after the happy nap. Been out all day and got NOTHING.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If theres one there could be more!!!! I met this guy at a park I detect alot he had an AT PRO he bought for a vacation,he saw me and thought he would ask me how to use it and balance it ect. Really nice Guy so I take him to an area Ive hunted many times by the park where a house used to be.Im showing him what the VDI means where the depth indicater is ect. Well 1/2 hour later he digs up an 1820s I think it was a half cent he was going to take it home to clean I saw the date rrrrrrrr then this guy goes in the weeded area finds a case of beer almost full and a bottle of new Wild Turkey, he lives by this park so he goes home gets his SUV loads up the booze and MY COIN LOL goes home!!! 15 minutes later here comes a car full of kids looking around the bushes for there booze and here I am trying to find something to make up for my loss!!!!! I kicked rocks outta there. I was happy for him but mad at myself That should have been mine the student teaching the teacher LOL Kinda the same .I hope you find one thats the holy grail baby!!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy went out today and got a 1984 Lincoln cent and rescued the lawn from aluminum. Pardon the pictures, the camera was acting up. The dirt/gravel behind it is from the crater of Diamonds in Arkansas. I was looking for diamonds. No such luck. IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1405.JPG

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch !! At least it was found by a friend ( who may or may not still be a friend ) !! Great find.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! That's amazing, well written post but man I need pictures! Bringing a buddy to one of your sites was nice but man it's hard to swallow when he gets the gold coin LOL

Cheers to both of you!!
Congrats and HH

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I can relate. We have 40 acres of an original 80 acre farm. My bff own 10 acres next to us. They have found two cool na artifacts. I get broken glass, iron fence, fence posts, beer cans, etc. I do have a couple nice bottles. But not the first coin!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bring up a sensitive point. I've never crossed the bridge myself, but, I've always worried about going to a friend's spot and finding a gold coin. Think I would just not say anything and just bury back? Let him find it? :tongue3:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like something that would happen to me invite some one to detect at my house he finds a box full of old silver dollars hundreds of em and after you've fed him and tossed a few beers at him. He says thanks had a great time Burps and drives away waving!!!!! See ya Thanks for a great time gottta do it again soon....LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread