gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a new field today and got two firsts a cut copper and a 1700's copper, so it was an awesome day for me. The problem is I can not if either of my finds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The first thing I need help with is the cut copper it has the letters basc or besc going around the edge. The large copper looks like it is facing right and is 17-- I believe it is a liberty cap but do not dare to clean it .i also do not know what the double ring is. Here are some pics hopefully they are readable IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

Upvote 13

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried but either my eyes are getting worse or the pics are blurry. Nice finds tho :icon_thumright:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find !! Sometimes I will use my magnifier app on my cell phone and get the light just perfect while holding the coin and you might get a little bit of a shadow out of it this way. You could do both sides if you wanted to, I'm sure someone will come along that may recognize it if you can get some better pics of it. Congratulations on a nice find !!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the thickness of the coin? A few of your other finds also suggest 18th century. Sword scabbard hardware came to mind with the double ring, but I don't think that's what it is.

Nice digs

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy the cut coin is thinner then a large cent it is the exact same thickness as the 17-- coin i will try to post a better pic

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy the cut coin is thinner then a large cent it is the exact same thickness as the 17-- coin i will try to post a better pic

Thx. With the thickness in mind, you probably have British copper or state copper. Early Lib caps are wicked thick and later ones are thinner, approx the same diameter as DBLC's and latter.

Don't be afraid to clean the copper. There are varying opinions to cleaning old copper, but a cold peroxide soak for a day or more won't affect it. Anyway, I probably wasn't much help but maybe it'll start you in the right direction. Nice digs

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks scrappy i will give it a try. fingers crossed eventhogh i know i probably will not get much more

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Nice finds! Are you in or near Canada? I think your cut coin could be from an 1837 Lower Canada (Bas Canada) token. There are halfpenny (un sou) and penny (deux sous) sizes. The other side would be where the "Bank" legend is on the reverse.

Attachments

• Bas_Canada___Breton_522.jpeg
    Bas_Canada___Breton_522.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bramblefind i am in vermont i found these coins about 30 miles from the boarder. you guys are amazing at id things.
thanks

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Could your cut coin be a counterfeit 18th century silver? Sorta has that look. How did it read on your machine?

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill it read at a perfect 80 on the at pro and was probably five inches down. I am actually surprised i found it with a really good signal. The fields in that area are really hard to hit i do not know if it is due to mineralization or what i have noticed is cow manure gives false signals.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice old coppers and relics! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with manure giving false signals I dig it allk the time as some of my todays finds show!!!!! Great fin d if I was in a 1700s field I would dig everything now your in the 1700s club. I wanna join!! Thanks for sharing your finds..

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2 it is hard to dig everything. All fields around here still have plenty of modern trash in them. including lots of foil, random iron and of course can slaw, but i try to dig everything that sounds good and pack out the trash.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill it read at a perfect 80 on the at pro and was probably five inches down. I am actually surprised i found it with a really good signal. The fields in that area are really hard to hit i do not know if it is due to mineralization or what i have noticed is cow manure gives false signals.

Are the cows eating stinkin' zincolns!?! Oh my Heavens NO!!!:BangHead::cussing::help::angry9::violent1::protest::crybaby2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions