BOOM! 1700's Club + Bonus Colonial Shoe Buckle(s)

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

Okay, I'm obviously addicted to the old farmhouse. The good news is it's great exercise. The bad news is... well, there really is no bad news. Other than there are only 24 hours in the day.

This weekend I hit the house again with some buddies. One scored an 1817 Matron head large cent, the other scored his first Civil War token from 1863.

And me? I finally broke deep into the 1700's club with this very fragile but absolutely awesome 1749 British halfpenny. One side is completely flaked away, and I'm never even going to TOUCH the other side, but hey, I love her just the same.

3coins.jpg halfpenny.jpg halfpenny2.jpg

But wait... there's more!

Halfway through yesterday I unearthed what my buddy told me was a Colonial shoe buckle. "Looks silver plated on top," he said, and after cleaning it up a bit he's certainly right:

shoebuckle1.jpg

"There was this piece that went across the middle," he points out. "And another movable fork-looking piece that hung down, so you could adjust the strap. But unfortunately, yours is broken off."

"Ah, too bad," I thought. But I only had to think that for another 20 minutes...

shoebuckle2.jpg shoebuckle3.jpg shoebuckle4.jpg

I cleaned it up carefully and it's in perfect working order. The middle piece articulates fully in both directions.

t's absolutely crazy to think these things are seeing their first morning light in 200-250(?)+ years. No?

Upvote 38

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds
Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting into the 1700's club, and getting the great looking buckle.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recoveries all! Very happy to see that you punched your ticket for entry into the 1700's club. That shoe buckle is a beauty by the way... Congrats. Now you gotta get to work on busting down the door to that 1600's club!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see too many farthings posted here in the states! Just awesome! And the shoe buckle is totally great. It's so hard to find one with the original chape--and many of those were made of iron and the centers of the buckles are just a fragile clump of rust.

Congrats!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really love the buckle. I believe they were silver washed, not plated(?).

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are certainly treading on some historic turf there mate. Sweet old buckle and some wonderful old coins and tokens for real. Excellent pictures and post. Well done.:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep all of the above.... great hunt and way to go on finding and getting permission on that fine speck of Earth...:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really love the buckle. I believe they were silver washed, not plated(?).

That makes total sense, actually. The plating is almost like it was dipped or brushed on, with a slight waviness to the edges. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread