I'd have called you a liar.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread about possibly taking a detecting road trip and tried to get other TNET members involved. Unfortunately, though not unexpectedly, treasure hunters being treasure hunters, not many ideas or invites were offered. That's ok though because it turned out to be the hottest week of the year, thus making it not worth an all day drive to have a heat stroke in the first two hours of hunting. I can do that locally.

If you've ever been in Arkansas in mid summer you know about the dessert heat mixed with jungle humidity. With the heat index well over 100ยฐF in the afternoons, I had to limit my exposure to only a couple of hours in the morning and maybe another hour just before the sun went down, so as to find shaded spots to hunt.

The first couple of days only yielded a few minor things like a couple wheat pennies and a little round ball. Then I decided to go back to a house I'd hunted with my F2 when I first started in the fall of 2015. It's next to a little flower shop that recently closed. When I pulled up to the house luckily I caught the owner outside and asked if I could hunt. Much to my surprise she not only said yes but said I could now hunt the flower shop next door.

Really? I asked, since I was told no when it was in business.

She said, "Yep, I'm the one taking care of their landscaping and mowing now. Just don't mess with the building and have fun." That night I took home two mercury dimes and a wheat penny. Around here anything better than a wheat penny means it is a good day.

The next day I was hunting a valley bottom behind a local business for the first time and found a fired three ringer and much later sliding type US military belt buckle and a couple more wheaties. Then later that day I found my first sword belt clip (I think) out in a corn field.

Fast forward to after my wife and I going camping and canoeing. Saturday one of my buddies and I went out without a plan (my favorite plan) and hit a few lots and such. Toward the end of the day he pulls a really beat to hell and slightly bent barber dime but at least you could tell what it was the reverse side.

A little bit later while out of site of each other on opposite sides of the building I found a barber dime (my second ever), and a domed US collar insignia (post WW2). As you could imagine I was stoked. That's about when my buddy comes to find me.

While comparing finds, in the distance at a beautiful old house where 15 years ago I used to work for a guy who since died of cancer, I spotted his widow mowing the lawn. So I left my buddy there talking to himself and ran over to say hello, and ask if we could hunt.

Without hesitations she said yes. So I told my friend what parts I'd hunted and where I found my dime and went to her yard. It was getting late so my hunt was brief but I found a sterling chain and a little peacock pin, my friend picher up a Standing Liberty Quarter at the place where I left him before coming over to call it a day. And a great one it was.

Sunday, my last day to hunt before the kids get back from their grandparents, and my buddy had to go to work. I went back and picked up where I left off. It was a slow start but by the end of the day I had found the biggest variety of old coins I'd ever found in a single day, and shockingly almost no clad, other than a few surface pennies she tossed out for slug control or so she said. I found two wheat pennies, two indian head pennies, a V nickle, a mercury dime, and another barber dime. That was my best coin shoot to date, and I still have a lot of yard to cover. Fingers crossed for some gold.

I just wanted to share. Thanks for reading.
Icewing

20170726_173307.jpg
20170726_092936.jpg
20170726_150903.jpg
20170729_175133.jpg
20170730_204005-1.jpg
The thing dated 1780 in the middle, I believe is just a button cover. It's not a coin.

Last edited:
Upvote 37

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's the kind of honey hole I dream of I like to see when someone finds a place like that. Good job be careful you bring a buddy he might just find that gold coin before you... LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good in my book today. I flew the couch after work, that's all.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you found a lot of great items there. A very nice variety of coins in the bunch. It sounds like you and your hunt buddy both did good. Congrats. HH

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent variety of coin finds! Is there a mint mark on the 1903 barber dime? An 's' mark makes it a rare coin and valuable.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great coin finds. It sounds like you picked up a couple of nice yards to search.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice hunt. The sword hanger is sweet!

You can come hunt with me (invite offered), but you got better stuff than we will find at my places. I have hunted with lots of TNet members, you have to find the ones that you mesh with... not everyone is a good fit. It takes time, but is well worth it. I've met a lot of really nice people here, and had some adventures!

Best of luck and congrats on the nice finds.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent!! Great finds, thanks for sharing....:thumbsup:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I wish I had seen your invite post! I am in NWA (Siloam Springs) and would be very interested in going out on a hunt together. Keep me in mind and let me know directly next time, please. Congrats on your finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks guys!
In this part of the country 5 silver coins of any variety in one week is almost unheard of, let alone the other goodies.
My free week turned out not to be a bust like I had expected.
I hope you enjoyed the overly long story and pics.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey thanks guys!
In this part of the country 5 silver coins of any variety in one week is almost unheard of, let alone the other goodies.
My free week turned out not to be a bust like I had expected.
I hope you enjoyed the overly long story and pics.

I agree with you on the 5 silvers around here but it does happen just not as often as it used too. congrats on the successful time and finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1780 is coping a Austrian Thaler.

Top Member Reactions