First Date With My New Makro Racer 2

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took my new Makro Racer 2 out for the first time yesterday for about an hour. This was just a very short "get acquainted" session. I'm impressed. I went to a site that's been pretty heavily hunted. It's an old farm/homeplace that dates to the late 1700's. It has been (until very recently) occupied continuously. So, in addition to some nice relics being present, there's also a good bit of modern trash and slaw and a lot of square nails and farm iron. I've pulled a few wheats, buffalos, etc from the site, some colonial buttons and an 1801 Large cent. Someone else hunted it hard before I showed up. I've used an XP Deus, AT Pro and a Nokta Relic here.

I was pretty much running the R2 in the factory settings other than bumping the gain up to 80. I was also using a Nel Snake coil on the R2. I found 2 tone to be quite stable and thought the 3 tone was a bit "chatty" but I used both and really like the ease of changing between the settings. I was also quite impressed with the Deep mode's ability to bring faint signals to life. As far as the VDI's go, I'm finding that a bit of a challenge to get used to, i.e. low numbers potentially being coins, etc. Also, I need to explore the audio tone options more as I'm not hearing enough difference in the low and high tones in 2 tone mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So I found these two items that should already have been sniffed out in previous hunts. The Oldsmobile emblem (circa 1920) ranks very high on the coolness scale. The button (also circa 1920) was manufactured in Lynchburg, VA by a clothing company for the Norfolk and Western Railroad.

Since original post, my research indicates this style was the very first Oldsmobile emblem.

olds emblem small.jpg nandw button small.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very cool finds! Love the Olds emblem. Congrats on the finds and new detector -- keep us posted on how it goes!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way cool - Congrats! :hello2:

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa that Oldsmobile emblem is killer! Beats any single item I've found this year. It is AMAZING!!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess the soil has a lot to do with how a coin is seen by the detector, some minerals seem to change their characteristics a little. I dug some very low reading pull tabs in this one area today, like 43 on my deus in 12kzt. this soil is also very rough on coins as I have been finding out. do really like both of your finds and yes, very high cool factor

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
whoa that Oldsmobile emblem is killer! Beats any single item I've found this year. It is AMAZING!!!

Thanks JD! Yes, definitely one of my favorite finds this year.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess the soil has a lot to do with how a coin is seen by the detector, some minerals seem to change their characteristics a little. I dug some very low reading pull tabs in this one area today, like 43 on my deus in 12kzt. this soil is also very rough on coins as I have been finding out. do really like both of your finds and yes, very high cool factor

Thanks DL.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my new Makro Racer 2 out for the first time yesterday for about an hour. This was just a very short "get acquainted" session. I'm impressed. I went to a site that's been pretty heavily hunted. It's an old farm/homeplace that dates to the late 1700's. It has been (until very recently) occupied continuously. So, in addition to some nice relics being present, there's also a good bit of modern trash and slaw and a lot of square nails and farm iron. I've pulled a few wheats, buffalos, etc from the site, some colonial buttons and an 1801 Large cent. Someone else hunted it hard before I showed up. I've used an XP Deus, AT Pro and a Nokta Relic here.

I was pretty much running the R2 in the factory settings other than bumping the gain up to 80. I was also using a Nel Snake coil on the R2. I found 2 tone to be quite stable and thought the 3 tone was a bit "chatty" but I used both and really like the ease of changing between the settings. I was also quite impressed with the Deep mode's ability to bring faint signals to life. As far as the VDI's go, I'm finding that a bit of a challenge to get used to, i.e. low numbers potentially being coins, etc. Also, I need to explore the audio tone options more as I'm not hearing enough difference in the low and high tones in 2 tone mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So I found these two items that should already have been sniffed out in previous hunts. The Oldsmobile emblem (circa 1920) ranks very high on the coolness scale. The button (also circa 1920) was manufactured in Lynchburg, VA by a clothing company for the Norfolk and Western Railroad.

View attachment 1478479 View attachment 1478480

A man after my own heart. I am an avid Makro Racer 2 supporter and operator. I ran the Red Racer for a year or so and got the Racer 2 Pro package this spring. I have all the stock coils offered from Makro-Nokta but, the giant one. Ridiculously huge. I also own the Nel Snake & Tornado coils plus the Mars Tiger coil for my Makro Racers. Check my finds if you are curious about what the machine has gotten me this year. I have been very pleased and impressed with this machine. That little Snake coil is amazing at target separation and has great depth for it's size. I dug a nickel at least 9 inches deep with the Snake coil.

One suggestion I got from an Englishman that uses this machine is manually ground balance the machine between 44-48 to make it more sensitive to smaller deep targets. I have recovered some ultra tiny non ferrous targets at depth with the Makro Racer 2 with my GB @ 44. Any questions about the machine feel free to shoot me a PM. I am loving the Makro Racer 2 so much it's kind of delaying my next upgrade to the Nokta Impact. Say's a lot for a machine IMO. Keep posting your finds as I love to see what other's running the same gear are finding. Check Out the Video. Adios. Kurios1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A man after my own heart. I am an avid Makro Racer 2 supporter and operator. I ran the Red Racer for a year or so and got the Racer 2 Pro package this spring. I have all the stock coils offered from Makro-Nokta but, the giant one. Ridiculously huge. I also own the Nel Snake & Tornado coils plus the Mars Tiger coil for my Makro Racers. Check my finds if you are curious about what the machine has gotten me this year. I have been very pleased and impressed with this machine. That little Snake coil is amazing at target separation and has great depth for it's size. I dug a nickel at least 9 inches deep with the Snake coil.

One suggestion I got from an Englishman that uses this machine is manually ground balance the machine between 44-48 to make it more sensitive to smaller deep targets. I have recovered some ultra tiny non ferrous targets at depth with the Makro Racer 2 with my GB @ 44. Any questions about the machine feel free to shoot me a PM. I am loving the Makro Racer 2 so much it's kind of delaying my next upgrade to the Nokta Impact. Say's a lot for a machine IMO. Keep posting your finds as I love to see what other's running the same gear are finding. Check Out the Video. Adios. Kurios1

Thanks K1 - very helpful! I'll definitely check out the video and keep you in mind for questions. I really like the "turn on and go" option with the "room to grow" aspect of the R2. I've had 7 different detectors and brands in the 7 years I've been detecting seriously. The R2 reminds me of the AT Pro in that I felt very comfortable and confident with its functions almost from the moment I turned it on. The AT Pro and the R2 are the only 2 machines I've had that experience with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread