Trip to Mexico, many Bucket listers found, Reales, Buttons, Silver Jewelry and More

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the entire month of July in Mexico on a family trip. I was excited because i would have the chance to hunt some really old grounds from my hometown and they did not disappoint. Ill begin with the buttons, in total is dug 74 Buttons in 2 different homesites, a great variety appear. The top are Pewter Colonial buttons, the rest are mainly flat buttons, and the very last two are Iron flat buttons.
Botones Flat.jpg
This next group consist of what I call dangling buttons or could very well be cufflinks, I'm not sure. They can be divided in 2 groups ball style ones and the flower design type, followed by several ball buttons, the last five a more modern pieces since they all have iron backs.
( Love the ones with the locomotive design )
Botones.jpg
This other small group consist of buttons with designs, there is even a piece with glass, all very nice designs.
Botones DiseÑo.jpg
Lastly on the buttons are the Military kind, I found 5 Mexican military buttons that according to research should date in the 1830s or earlier. I also found a French button in the same homesite as the Mexican pieces, maybe from the French intervention of 1861? Botones Mex Mil..jpg

The coins showed up mainly in the form of Centavos, I found 4 whole cents from the late 1800s and 5 cut pieces, also a small centavo from 1883.
Monedas Centavos.jpg
Then came the Mexican State Coins, The first Quartilla ( 1/4 Real ) is actually a federal coin, but i have included it with the state coins. I found 2 Zacatecas Quartillas, one is wiped, the other is 1863/2, actually its an over date. The smaller coins with Cherub are Octavos
( 1/8 Real ) from Zacatecas one is from 1836 and the other is 1862, I dug both varieties the Copper and the Brass type.
Monedas 1:4s.jpg
The next group consist of Hacienda or town tokens, these are similar as what are known here in the state as pickers checks, although most of these pieces in Mexico tend to be colonial or at least date to the early 1800s.
Monedas Fichas.jpg
This leads me to pieces i liked the most, Mexican silvers, from Colonial to late 1800s Mexican coins are something that I always wanted to dig, well I did, the first piece is an 1807 2 Reales, followed by my oldest coin to date which also happens to be Silver an 1752 1/2 Real, 1803 1/2 real. The Republic coins are as follows, a 1874 5 Centavos, followed by tiny 1847 1/4 Real, this thing is smaller than a US time. The very last piece is Cob from the era of Phillip the V, i can make out the cross, but not positive on the ruler. Monedas Plata.jpg
I also found a few pieces of Jewelry mainly with religious themes, 8 Junk but old rings, a cufflink, an earring, and a hair piece with much plating and wonderful design.
Joyas .jpg
Silver Jewelry only added to three pieces, not sure on age, some might be colonial. All unmarked, first is what seems to be part of a ball earring, then a handcut ring with a leafy design, very small could had been a childs ring. The last piece is a bird design it was either a pendant or maybe part of an earring aswell.
Joyas Plata.jpg
This last two photos consist of unknowns to me, if anyone has any idea on what this items are please feel free to comment
( Except for the Iron Buckle )
All items on the very last picture are iron, notice the pieces that look like fishing weights? but made of iron? no close water source to the house site, no fish that can be caught on rod and lines close either.
Misc..jpg
Iron.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 64

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The fishing weights could have been used as plum bobs.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brother, what a trip!!! Those are some great finds, I love the old military buttons...d2

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, great finds and saves! Congratulations.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Wow! That is what's called, "going to the source". Yes indeed, you have some very nice finds. The 1803 type coin is a seldom seen item. I was wondering if the large centavos that were cut were used in commerce? Those are neat old coppers. I don't recall seeing them as cut coins before. Your silver jewelry and old military buttons are pretty neat too. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great month of treasure hunting. I have some friends in Dallas who have made numerous trips to Mexico and have made some amazing finds. I have always wanted to go there, but it has gotten too dangerous in recent years.
They have done really well at hacienda sites, and I see you have too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes me too, I have found around 20 US Civil war or earlier buttons, but I always wanted one from my home country, now i have 5

Brother, what a trip!!! Those are some great finds, I love the old military buttons...d2

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin' all that Mexican treasure my friend. What a month of hunting and visiting family and friends. Whenever you return you have to make sure you have your tecting gear for sure. More good finds down south of the border waiting for you!:headbang:

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Valley Ranger

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx brother, I thinking the same thing on the centavos, i originally thought that they could had been used in gaming, but not sure.

Wow! That is what's called, "going to the source". Yes indeed, you have some very nice finds. The 1803 type coin is a seldom seen item. I was wondering if the large centavos that were cut were used in commerce? Those are neat old coppers. I don't recall seeing them as cut coins before. Your silver jewelry and old military buttons are pretty neat too. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing !

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx trapperart

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! CONGRATS !!!!

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes crime in recents years has gotten much worse, fortunate this area has always been neutral recent criminal activity. I plan on going back next summer, u are always welcome to join. The best part is that most of this sites are virgin and therefore plenty items to be found.

Congratulations on a great month of treasure hunting. I have some friends in Dallas who have made numerous trips to Mexico and have made some amazing finds. I have always wanted to go there, but it has gotten too dangerous in recent years.
They have done really well at hacienda sites, and I see you have too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely planing a return with all my gear, thanx

Diggin' all that Mexican treasure my friend. What a month of hunting and visiting family and friends. Whenever you return you have to make sure you have your tecting gear for sure. More good finds down south of the border waiting for you!:headbang:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! That was definitely a great one month vacation. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread