Jonah and the Whale Cast Iron Bank Identification

Aug 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cast Iron Jonah and the Whale that i've been trying to identify for sometime now, no local shops could tell me anything which was shocking. I'm know someone on here is a bit smarter :) The ones on eBay C.1890 have a different bottom with key. No real markings on bottom that I can tell, but I literately know nothing about them. IF anyone could tell me what year it is that would be great. THANK YOU!!:icon_thumleft::hello2:

Only thing I can sell is the lever on the side is missing, and the mechanism possible was messed with at one point

dimensions as well: 9 1/4 L -- 5 1/4 H

IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0958.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 4

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool item. Wish I could help. Welcome to Tnet!

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately these old, cast iron, mechanical banks are some of the most faked on the market. From the look of the screw that is on the bottom, it appears to be a reproduction. It that had been real, those local shops would have tried to buy it from you immediately! The reason why they wouldn't tell you that it was a reproduction is because they sell tons of them and many unscrupulous shops will claim that they "aren't sure" hoping a customer will buy it and take the chance. I have a large collection of these old banks of all types.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is likely a reproduction, as mentioned it should have standard head screws, but it appears to be a nice older one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread