Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hoping to get one ...then changed tactics and when I least expected it - I got one!
Went to a Cape cod beach - I had only been to this one a few times and had never gotten gold there
one of the only beaches I haven't got gold at. There weren't many people in the water when I got there as the tide was on its way out.
Water was calm compared to a few days before when it was windy and had waves. I got in and preceded to headed to area
where there was soft sand and crystal clear water - some spots in close had rocks, seaweed and there was sea stuff floating.
Water was so clear in this area you could read a book on the bottom. Sand went thru scoop like melted butter. I worked these beautiful waters for over an hour and did not get one single reading. I kept checking my machine to make sure it was working properly. I was invested in hunting here - I would not have time to pack up and head to another spot - it was just about low tide. Last time here - I hit in the rocky areas figuring many don't work in the rocks and last time I was getting older clad coins and got some older silver jewelry - but no gold. I also was getting what at the time I thought were small musketballs there - a bunch of them. I then found brass/bronze shrapnel in the same area and found out that the lead balls were from inside early 20th century artillery shells.
I thought that was cool. I found parts of noses from these shells and a lot of the lead balls back then. There were also a lot
of lead sinkers that last visit - so I figured I would just go into the rocks and get some exercise. As I approached the rocks
where the soft sands were getting thinner - I got a solid hit. I knew it was not a coin or jewelry - sounded like it was
going to be a large lead sinker. I checked in ID mode and got a good signal. I scooped down about a foot and rechecked - still
in the hole - scooped again and rechecked - still in the hole and getting bigger - I got way down and never got it in the scoop
- figured it was probably a deep can. I pushed in sand and moved on. About 6 ft away - I get another target that sounds like the last-
once again take 3 big scoops out and still can not get it - again last sweep over it and it sounds like it is bigger than my fist.
I fill it in and move on. I get another hit few feet away, but this one sounds a little louder and maybe not quite as deep.
I scoop down 3 times and hit rocks and pry up with scoop and I check hole - I got it in my scoop.
I look in and I have bunch of small rocks and one big rock/conglomerate in my scoop. I pull it out and its about the size of
a cannon ball. I decide to try and break it open and while holding it under water I started to bang it with my scoop. Slowly
pieces start to break away and then a big piece breaks off and I see bronze colored metal and from what I can see
it looks like part of nose cone piece I found yrs ago, but from what I can see - it looks like it might be complete.
So I bang it all around and crust (which was bout an inch thick all around) finally breaks off and I got myself a
complete one - I thought it was cool. I came for silver & gold - but if I cant get that - a cool relic I can put in my display case - I'll take it. So now I got to wonder if that is what those other 2 were. I not gonna going back - those were way to deep - but moving forward - if I get another large hit that seems reachable - I'll go for it. Little while later - I get a very large hit - check in ID mode
and expecting a low tone which is iron - I got a high tone - but this target is way larger than the nose cone was. I fanned
with my dive boot and about a foot down I hit item. Its like a huge log of a concretion - I just covered it back up. I moved
into the rocks. Right off the bat I start getting the small lead shrapnel balls. They don't go off terribly loud in the rocks cause they are
like .45 size and smaller. They are just small enough to fall thru my scoop too. Luckily I wear a mask and can see them on top when they do and just drop down and pluck them off the bottom. I then got a few bronze shrapnel pieces and then a few lead fishing weights.
So I'm in a different detecting mode now - I'm gonna go for fishing tackle and bomb shrapnel. Tough working in the rocks - thank God for my mask. You get a target here - you look down and there are rocks as big as your head and fist size - you have to push them aside - recheck and then fan with foot. then you have egg size rocks and gravel - some times the lead balls are sitting there -
most times you got to take one good scoop out. I got a signal that was down a little bit and came up with a green clad quarter
that had been there a while - well...there's coins here. I get a few more sinkers - few more balls and a brass cast master lure.
I then get a large blast again - I fan and I see another log shaped item. I decide to check this one out. I lifted it out of the sand
and it is covered in fist sized rocks stuck to it - it weighs probably 50+ pounds. I let go of my machine and begin to hack at it with my scoop. I knock most of the rocks off its outside and then I make a few cracks in it shell. A big chunk breaks off the back of it
and exposed is a black cylinder. I got part of the shell! break off some more and see the copper "drive band" that has rifling in it.
Cool! I probably hit these before - but being so big - just skipped over them. The other one I re-covered was same size and
most likely same thing. Now I know. I put it in my pouch and continue. tide is all the way out and I go a little deeper. Near a huge
rock I get a nice hit - its not as small as a lead ball and its not as large as a lead sinker- in fact it is just right. I look down and
push 3 large rocks aside - recheck and then scoop. I look in and see about 6 egg shaped rocks and small gravel. I shake scoop once
- look in - shake again and I see gold band sitting on top of one of the rocks. Surprise...surprise...surprise - nice heavy 14k band.
I did not think I'd get a ring in there - I was totally out of the coin and ring mode and was in the play around and get some
scrap metal mode. I took quick break and went in and handed off the ring and the relics to my GF. Told her I was shocked to get a ring in that spot but maybe years ago that area had been covered with sand too and might have been popular. I went back out and only got one more green coin - few more sinkers and a few more blobs then called it a day after I uncovered another "log".
Thing was heavy as heck trying to carry it along with 3 blobs in my pouch and trying to manage my machine and scoop in one hand.
People were looking at me funny - funnier than usual. Usually the odd items are the extra bonus from the gold. This time the
gold was the extra bonus!
The nose cone in first pick was first one found - I took others home and broke them open there and got 2 more complete nose cones
other" log" was another cylinder
Now that I know what Im finding -if I go back and im getting skunked - I can always go for that stuff again.

Upvote 38
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been corrected!! I didn't think a pro like Casper would be foolish to pass up bell tones. However for some reason my thinking cap wasn't on when I wrote my comment.

I have been asked more than once. Have you ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?

Thanks for the clarification Casper. Still looks like a very chunky gold.

I try to go for everything and take as much as I can - but some I just have to give up on - when they start out as
coin size and faint and after 5 scoops target is as big as your head and you still have not hit it or seen it :dontknow:
you can keep digging out deep and none will be the wiser - but on public beach in waist deep water :BangHead:
Your a good man and awesome hunter - continued good luck :notworthy:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job Mr. Casper, Love that color!

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after close examination of you're ordnance it appears that you have found a white phosphorus round with a mech time fuze.... more than likely an m577 mech time fuze.
Please do not store in your home, or better yet call your local PD so they can coordinate for an EOD team to come ex-ray them to see if the pose a hazard to you and your family

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after close examination of you're ordnance it appears that you have found a white phosphorus round with a mech time fuze.... more than likely an m577 mech time fuze.
Please do not store in your home, or better yet call your local PD so they can coordinate for an EOD team to come ex-ray them to see if the pose a hazard to you and your family
as far as I know they are explosive rounds - they contain lead balls which are all around the area the heads are all marked model 1907
if I find a few more "bodies" (which I know there are lot more of out there) I will open one up
they should look like this inside
trench_art_09.jpg

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orrrr you could not mess with it and save your hands/face. Maj Henry Shrapnel III developed these shrapnel rounds and are not the most stable when dry. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502916189.188796.jpg

The fuze is a M1907A1 the nomenclature of the round is something different.

Please do not try to disassemble them as serious or fatal injury may result

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00246.JPG

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these rounds were all fired - I have a lot of frags

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curios but where are you pulling these from, if it's a known impact area you might regret digging the "wrong item" some UXOs can be detonated by a rapid temp change such as a shadow.. mostly pertaining to any thing with a
peso-electric fusing system such as any HEAT rounds. if you are digging anywhere around red stone arsenal AL or APG Maryland you also run the chances of uncovering live chemical agents such as mustard or nerve agent and you might never make it back home, I don't mean to be a "fun sponge" but your safety is at risk any time you are digging in a impact area.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a golden day
Congrats

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curios but where are you pulling these from, if it's a known impact area you might regret digging the "wrong item" some UXOs can be detonated by a rapid temp change such as a shadow.. mostly pertaining to any thing with a
peso-electric fusing system such as any HEAT rounds. if you are digging anywhere around red stone arsenal AL or APG Maryland you also run the chances of uncovering live chemical agents such as mustard or nerve agent and you might never make it back home, I don't mean to be a "fun sponge" but your safety is at risk any time you are digging in a impact area.

Considering he dug them from underwater where they have sat for many many years I doubt the powder is still viable

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh for sure, but when smokeless powder is dry again it is just as volatile as the day it was produced, I'm more concerned about what else is buried in the area

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A complete projectile is probably worth a few bucks.
Congrats on the gold wedding band.
Definitely a good hunt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats . Treasurer is great!!!!