ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my old coin "stash" finds it way back to me ---

ah my step mother was "cleaning" out some "junk" and ran across a old box of coins that I had in my teens---my dad owned and opertated a bicycle & lawn mower service and repair shop ---as a teen I worked there and earned a few bucks of "spending money"on the side helping pop out in the summer when I wasn't in school --- close to the shop was a old vacant feild where we often went to check out that the blade and belt adjustments were correct on the mowers we fixed ---as I was "test driving " a mower one day I spotted a note book type book -- that had coin pages in it !!!! it was cleaned out mostly there were many of the "paper type coin holder" that had been "punched out" --(the empty holders were for high dollar gold and silver coins) someone had ripped off a rather valuible coin collection --- and stolen most of the "good" coins --- there were 67 lower value coins still left however -- I took them to my dad and showed him ---he made me turn them over to the cops and after a 30 day wait ---they were returned and formed the starting "base" of my coin collection--- a few years later after a bit of fight between my step mother and me I went to live with my mom --- I went to mom's house for "summer vaction" and basically just did not go back ---my coins were packed away and later dad move to a differant house the collection was "lost" in the shuffle---well today it returned -- like a long lost freind---Ivan

Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: my old coin "stash" finds it way back to me ---

Glad you got them back. Great story!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. Very good story. Being a coin collector, I'm wondering what type of coins these were. Any pictures? Or maybe just a description. I'm glad you got them back.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

I can kind of relate to this story. I collected coins from basically 12 years old on.... Long story short, when I left the house at 18... I left some stuff there that wasn't really worth much, basically packed in a box... but inside some stuff in that box... ie a cheap plastic gumball machine for example I hid some of my coins in the base coin collection part... I had coins in there. .. Well about two years ago, I was visiting the parents, .. since long moved from original place of living... and they told me, Oh we have a few boxes of your old stuff you left when you moved out..

Not thinking much of it, I mean .. come on... what the hell does an 18 year old have that's valueable.....or did have.... I went through the boxes... brought back a big trip down memory lane as I looked at old stuff from days gone by, old pictures etc, then come across the gumball machine... I picked it up and smiled, I remember charging relatives a nickel a gumball.... I shook it and heard it rattle in the bottom, opened it up and seen the coins I stashed in it and forgot all about.

This brought back memories of grandparents, great grandparents, who moved onto a better world, and having to go through their belongings..... Makes me wonder how much of the stuff in there was

A) This is crap, i don't give a &#$^ about it. attitude they had on it
B) They just didnt realize what it was now worth
C) This is worth something, im gonna leave for the kids when I kick the oxygen habit.

factor was in it.

overall yah, congrats ivan, ... recovering... or re finding something you had long ago, has a nice feel to it..

Aaron

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

What a great surprise. Do you have any pics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread