Amazing finds at a hunted out school

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, it has been some time since I have posted last, but need your help on these buttons I just found at a school that has been hammered to death, so I thought anyway. I
have not cleaned anything as of yet as I am not sure if the buttons are rare or valuable. If anyone can I.D. these, please do!

I first pulled up and walked to a spot and found this below (first hole).
File_002(1).jpeg

Next couple of holes, I pulled this. It still has a little gem in the middle.
File_002(1).jpeg

Then I had that gut feeling for some reason that I needed to go over to the other side of the field as there were some very old trees around. Just a hunch, that really paid off

The first hole I dug and I pull out three of the below buttons, I couldn't believe it!
File_000.jpeg
File_001(1).jpeg

Then about ten minutes later, I pull this "GOLD" Button! It certainly has some weight to it.
File_001.jpeg
File_002(2).jpeg

Below is the rest that I pulled out in the same area. All within an hour or so.
File_002(3).jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_003(1).jpeg

A day detecting like this was well needed! It has been slim pickings this year.

Thank for looking, Brian

Attachments

• File_000(1).jpeg
    File_000(1).jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 199
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 45

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit better pictures of the last two buttons, still haven't cleaned them. Can anyone recommend the best way to clean these?

View attachment 1482432 View attachment 1482433

I would put them under running water, when the dirt is gone then seal them with white Elmer's Glue (at least that is what I was told to do with my sundial). Awesome finds, good luck with ID, I am not good with military buttons lol. Find of a lifetime, finding a cache of Revolutionary War buttons. Perhaps a uniform dump? They all look Revolutionary War to me. Each one alone is a banner.

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USA.PNG
File_000.jpeg

34th Regiment.PNG
File_001(1).jpeg

As you can see from my avatar, I found this one awhile back
IMG_02411.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would put them under running water, when the dirt is gone then seal them with white Elmer's Glue (at least that is what I was told to do with my sundial). Awesome finds, good luck with ID, I am not good with military buttons lol. Find of a lifetime, finding a cache of Revolutionary War buttons. Perhaps a uniform dump? They all look Revolutionary War to me. Each one alone is a banner.

Thanks for the cleaning advise, I am certainly sweating it out a bit of the thought of destroying these trying to clean them

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Coinman for your banner vote!, I do agree they are in great condition, but I don't believe they are reenactment due to were they were found (in a small section of grass that just wouldn't make sense for a reenactment to take place.

I have to say, I would love to be apart of the banner family as I have been with the forum for some time now.

Your welcome :). I would hunt the hell out of that section of grass, too bad a lot of the other land is probably developed from building the school, what isn't developed though would be great. Also, if there is any woods around the school, even a small patch, go there. I found a virgin cellar hole site, from the 1730's and abandoned circa 1800. Right in the public woods behind a school, I pulled up around 100 (civilian) colonial buttons, and around 20 colonial coppers there.

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome :). I would hunt the hell out of that section of grass, too bad a lot of the other land is probably developed from building the school, what isn't developed though would be great. Also, if there is any woods around the school, even a small patch, go there. I found a virgin cellar hole site, from the 1730's and abandoned circa 1800. Right in the public woods behind a school, I pulled up around 100 (civilian) colonial buttons, and around 20 colonial coppers there.

I will be hitting that section hard as the finds were basically from cherry picking. I see your in New England, whereabouts are you located? If your somewhat close by your welcome to join me

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be hitting that section hard as the finds were basically from cherry picking. I see your in New England, whereabouts are you located? If your somewhat close by your welcome to join me

I'm from southern NH, what part of MA are you in? I will PM you if I am ever in the area.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right and that it is French Rev. war buttons. When I first found them I figured they were not rev. war buttons, very pleased. Ill tell you, sometimes
I would take these relics over coins. It is a blast researching the history of relics

I agree. Those buttons have an amazing history that is a lot easier to research and learn about then just your average coin. What I mean is, you can research that "34" button and find a lot of really interesting stuff about the regiment's history, but there is only so much you can learn about most modern coins.

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1 on the right I believe is a colonial Scotland thistle button, like this 1----- thLK1VDSM2 thistle.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a wide array of buttons to be found in one area, something was going on that's for sure. Congrats on the hunt and great recoveries.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowsers! That's the button haul of a lifetime here. I agree many times the research, history, and personal touch of buttons makes them way cooler finds than just a coin. I am no button expert but, this might be BANNER worthy for sure. Glad you got the adrenal glands all cleared out now!:headbang:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Thats some nice finds for a school yard. That is a rev war button. I had one a few weeks ago and a friend has ALOT of them. very cool find.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice my friend!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you show us some more photos after you've safely cleaned them! Thanks!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow banner for sure. Nice Deus haul.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest: