Amazing finds at a hunted out school

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, it has been some time since I have posted last, but need your help on these buttons I just found at a school that has been hammered to death, so I thought anyway. I
have not cleaned anything as of yet as I am not sure if the buttons are rare or valuable. If anyone can I.D. these, please do!

I first pulled up and walked to a spot and found this below (first hole).
File_002(1).jpeg

Next couple of holes, I pulled this. It still has a little gem in the middle.
File_002(1).jpeg

Then I had that gut feeling for some reason that I needed to go over to the other side of the field as there were some very old trees around. Just a hunch, that really paid off

The first hole I dug and I pull out three of the below buttons, I couldn't believe it!
File_000.jpeg
File_001(1).jpeg

Then about ten minutes later, I pull this "GOLD" Button! It certainly has some weight to it.
File_001.jpeg
File_002(2).jpeg

Below is the rest that I pulled out in the same area. All within an hour or so.
File_002(3).jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_003(1).jpeg

A day detecting like this was well needed! It has been slim pickings this year.

Thank for looking, Brian

Attachments

• File_000(1).jpeg
    File_000(1).jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 200
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 45

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The USA button and the 34 button appears to be of the rev war era, unless I'm missing something----- th rev.jpg ----- th 34.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just so you know, in case you dont already know, you can use a wooden toothpick to safely remove dirt. It would be a tragedy to damage any of these great finds.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you can, upload some better photos of those last few buttons. Those are probably some good ones too. ANd I cant believe you found all this in one day! Just incredible!

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right and that it is French Rev. war buttons. When I first found them I figured they were not rev. war buttons, very pleased. Ill tell you, sometimes
I would take these relics over coins. It is a blast researching the history of relics

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is certainly more to be found there as these were found cherry picking. I think I will grid it off next time.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just have to love those old hunted out and pounded to death sites! Congratulations! Curious to know the depth these were at???

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just have to love those old hunted out and pounded to death sites! Congratulations! Curious to know the depth these were at???

They were on average somewhere around 6" maybe slightly more

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you can, upload some better photos of those last few buttons. Those are probably some good ones too. ANd I cant believe you found all this in one day! Just incredible!

These kind of days are far few in between, certainly welcome days like this. These kind of hunts are amazing, its like your running on complete adrenaline! You cant get to the next hole fast enough

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That flower button is very nice. Good job.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner! I am extremely jealous! Probably a battle fought on that land in the Revolutionary War.

:headbang:

Added:

It could be from a reenactment though, the gold button looks a little off. The pewter is also is very good condition. I hope it is the real deal though, if so, definitely banner!

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I forgot to vote Banner due to shock and awww---Great finds :occasion14:

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit better pictures of the last two buttons, still haven't cleaned them. Can anyone recommend the best way to clean these?

File_111.jpeg File_333.jpeg

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! I am extremely jealous! Probably a battle fought on that land in the Revolutionary War.

:headbang:

Added:

It could be from a reenactment though, the gold button looks a little off. The pewter is also is very good condition. I hope it is the real deal though, if so, definitely banner!

Thanks Coinman for your banner vote!, I do agree they are in great condition, but I don't believe they are reenactment due to were they were found (in a small section of grass that just wouldn't make sense for a reenactment to take place.

I have to say, I would love to be apart of the banner family as I have been with the forum for some time now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread