9 Rings & Civil War Token found in Hot, Hot, Ohio!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 Rings & Civil War Token found in Hot, Hot, Ohio!

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in Ohio, the temps have been hovering around 100 degrees. Most of the days in the high 90's. You would think, normal people would stay in an keep cool. Well I guess Gary and I aren't to normal.

We thought we would get out early in the morning's and hunt, Ha!, that didn't work either. The temps at 6 a.m were around 80 degrees. But you know how it is, when the sun is shining a guy has to do what a guy has to do!

We found all these items this past week. We hunted Old school yards, in local lakes and side walks being torn up. We did have to stop in the afternoon, cause we just couldn't take the heat anymore.

Gary found the most rings. Although I came in at a close second. Gary found two 10k rings, one of which has a diamond in the center of it. One 925 Silver ring and two other rings. He also found a basketball pin, a football pin, a choral pin, somesort of religious charm and a really neat arrowhead with an Indian picture on it.

I found a 10k White gold ring with a blue stone in it, a small 10k gold heart shaped ring, a silver ring, a sterling silver cross, a baby's ring ( old ), two wheaties and a Civil War token, worth 25 cents in trade anywhere.

We also found a ton of pull tabs, pop cans that had been mowed into small pieces and other assorted junk. Also we found a bunch and I mean a bunch of new coins. I didn't count all mine yet, but there must be over 200 coins in the pile.

Hope you are all getting out there and hunting, drinking a lot of water and doing your best to stay cool Just think this winter when it's 40 below, we will be saying, man I wish it was warmer.

HH all, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Gary\'s finds.jpg
    Gary\'s finds.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 709
  • Denny\'s finds.jpg
    Denny\'s finds.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: 9 Rings & Civil War Token found in Hot, Hot, Ohio!

Hey RF, What's the other side of the token say?

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Im in southern Ohio , near athens and have found 2 of these type of tokens.... the one I found said "Good For One package of Mints" and the other was for 5 cents in trade..... they are fun to find...... the first one I found from a Civil War era house and they guy that owned it said that you got those tokens from the hardware store of the day when you paid your bill on time.... someone else told me they were from a later time during prohibition and that they were used in nickle slot machines in speak easies.... so I am not sure.......

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wildrider said:
Hey RF, What's the other side of the token say?

It just has a number on the other side. 50,400.

It might be a token for a slot machine, I'm not sure. I was told one time that it was a Civil War token that could be used anywhere.

HH, Ringfinder

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

Hot, hot finds! Nice job, it is that time of year that you start to realize the end of the season when the ground freezes will sneak up on us. I love the post and great pics...Ryan

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Exellent finds and you are a tough man to work so hard in that heat.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Nice collection there Buddy. I know you worked hard to find those in this heat. The temps down here are about the same. You found some really cool rings and I know you went through a ton of pull tabs to get them. Way to go with sticking with it!

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

piggman1 said:
Nice collection there Buddy. I know you worked hard to find those in this heat. The temps down here are about the same. You found some really cool rings and I know you went through a ton of pull tabs to get them. Way to go with sticking with it!

Thanks pigman, hope your getting out and finding some good things too. The heat is supposed to subside next week. Get back into the 80's, man that will feel like a cold wave. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

The temp is supposed to go up this next week with heat indexes around the 113 degree mark. looks like a fun week. Glad to hear they are cooling down up there. I think we are just getting started with our heat because of all the rain we had earlier. Oh well, we'll just have to sweet it out. Good hunting to ya!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

It's been really hot and humid here, too. Oh well, that's August for ya :)
Some REALLY nice finds there!
Congrats!
That white gold and blue stone?.....stone kinda looks like a star sapphire to me.
Keep hydrated:)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Wow, what a great hunt with all those awesome finds, congrats to you guys. Love all the goldies, wooowhooo!! Sweet!

Smiles!
BDoo

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

great finds!!!!!!
now the bad news..those are not civil war tokens..
They are much later,i believe from the 1930's on.Maybe PBK can give you better dates.Still neat to find them.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Outstanding finds, congradulations!

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

teverly said:
great finds!!!!!!
now the bad news..those are not civil war tokens..
They are much later,i believe from the 1930's on.Maybe PBK can give you better dates.Still neat to find them.

Yeah Teverly, someone said they might be slot machine tokens. I'd sure like to know what the heck they are. I've found my share of them.

Thanks Everyone for looking at Gary's and my post. Hope you are keeping cool and finding lots of goodies in your area.

HH, Ringfinder

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o You guys found some REALLY good stuff this week! 8) I don't know how you two are holding up in this heat! :P I thought I'd be smart and go one morning last week....and I stayed for maybe...................... 30 minutes. :P :D Come on WINTER!!!! Can't believe I'm saying that! :D This is the second year in a row I have heard myself say that! :D Been huntin for two years. ;D

Super finds you two!!! Congrats!

Nana :)

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Very good finds. The temps have been record high here in Florida also. The hardest part of hunting is keeping hydrated. Frozen bottles of Poweraid seem to last longer than just water. Coins in the dry sand come up to hot to handle.

Nice job, love that bling,

Tek

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

looks like your doing pretty good ! hot here to, congrats to you ;)

R

RUDY2003

Great diggs! Hot it is. Also around 100 here and can't take too much heat either....

Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions