Would You?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Question? Would YOU leave the comfort of your home at 11:30 p.m. and wander around a vacant old house sight in the country on a moonlit night at around 50 degrees temperature for some meager finds like these? LOL! Well, I obviously would and did. Actually finding these handful of decent targets shows me how far I have come since the beginning days where it took me 100 hunts just to find my first wheat penny. I've learned when conditions are terrible, and they are on this sight, I have to slow down to a virtual crawl and swing ultra slow just to hear what might be a decent non ferrous target. Nothing spectacular but, I was one with nature and managed to clean up some more trash and a few good targets. I did manage another handful of zinc and memorial pennies but, get bored very quickly with the area they are concentrated in. Have a great Sunday! Kurios1

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I would if I could stay up that long:laughing7: What's the "whats it" in the second picture?

The first two pictures are a button. Doesn't look that old and probably a coat button. Had me going for a bit in the dark though. I was thinking CW State Seal Button!:o:laughing7:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
The first two pictures are a button. Doesn't look that old and probably a coat button. Had me going for a bit in the dark though. I was thinking CW State Seal Button!:o:laughing7:

The design would have had me going to. First thought was a CRUSADER find:laughing7:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if I had some good sites. One question though, how are the mosquitoes at night time?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never thought about late night hunting. I think I would enjoy that. Nice finds.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if I had some good sites. One question though, how are the mosquitoes at night time?

The cool temperatures at night have them grounded it seems. No bugs at all bothering me.:icon_thumleft:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tend to get a little bit nervous after dark around here, we do have plenty of copperheads and ground rattlers and night or dark times seem to be the most bite times. But I do totally understand your reasoning. like anything else, when confidence is gained in something, the rewards can get better. I do have a couple of places that I wouldn't might hunting at night but I might attract unwanted individuals in the process. good luck

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to get a little bit nervous after dark around here, we do have plenty of copperheads and ground rattlers and night or dark times seem to be the most bite times. But I do totally understand your reasoning. like anything else, when confidence is gained in something, the rewards can get better. I do have a couple of places that I wouldn't might hunting at night but I might attract unwanted individuals in the process. good luck

I am pretty selective about hunting at night. I would NOT do it where I would be bothering folks trying to sleep. In the woods, old country farmhouses, and places where no one is bothered by my presence is what I look for. As far as critters go toads don't pose much of a threat. Coyotes have crept in on me a few times making me go into barbarian mode to try and discourage their advances.:laughing7:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely, yes. Depends on the neighborhood, but you said country... so that might negate the two legged night critters more common in my parts.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a word....no. I'm just too concerned about being out at night, anywhere. Unless I'm on the trail of a known treasure chest/post hole bank. I'm just too concerned about the ever mounting night creepers that are becoming too prevalent for this old man's druthers. Color me.....yellow? :tongue3:

I already feel too obvious out there during the daytime, without adding a concern that Mz Bizzybody might phone the authorities about someone slinking about in the dark with what looks like a weapon. :dontknow: Also, I always use earphones so I wouldn't be able to hear anything creeping up on me!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it's often in the morning just before first light, 5 to 5:30 AM, it's cooler outside, & IF I hit a great spot, I have most all day to keep detecting.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any day of the week. i do a lot of my hunting at night due to life obligations

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be fun as long as it's in a safe neighborhood. Congrats on your finds!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any day of the week. i do a lot of my hunting at night due to life obligations

Excellent! Question. Have you noticed your recoveries to be improved on night hunts versus day hunts. For instance I found my oldest US coin at night, 1826 half cent. Found my first and only 2 cent coin at night. Also my best silver coins spills have ALL come at night. I know there may be physiological factors with the moon, moisture-dew content of the soil grass, and the fact I go much slower at night which may be the greatest factor of all. Just curious?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any time detecting is a great time! Besides I do not sleep more than 4 1/2 hours a night, so night hunting may be a good option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread