Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two sites on hand i wanted to scout today. Both were wheat fields and fresh drilled. I hit the first field with a roman villa site and noticed the whole area had footprints, row by row. Someone waited for drilling like i did and beat me by a couple hours as the soil where he dug was still damp. Whatever, i did the small site crossways to his rows and squeezed out some tiny lead a ringthing and a bronze coin in very good condition. The site is already hunted hard so i decided to move on to a nearby roman farm site.
You know it, same thing, footprints all over, accurate row by row. With only a hour left to spend i did the same like i did on the first site, walked crossways and managed a nice Denarius of Severus Alexander 222 AD and a bronze scrappy.
At home i cleaned the stuff i had in the pouch and the 'nice' Bronze i got on the villa turned out to be a Denarius of Caracalla 207AD. Low grade silver made it look like bronze.

Nails, WWII trash, lead and pottery
30076132ow.jpg

30076133fw.jpg

30076134hp.jpg

30076135hy.jpg

Button, ringthing, buckle frag
30076136vq.jpg

Coins
30076138hx.jpg

30076140jn.jpg

And thats how it looked first...
30076141xn.jpg

Upvote 35

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just love those hammered Roman coins.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing condition those silvers!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!!! Well done, congrats and HH

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Another nice round Lu. Were the silver coins deeper? Looks like they missed the fertilizer. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How beautiful those coins are! Congrats. Thats a dream find for most of us over here in the states.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Roman coins to say the least.
Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Roman Silvers in that condition is a great day, but sounds like you were too slow.
Tinpan asked why we are in a rush & competition is another good reason. Cru'Dad spotted 2 detectorist the other day on one of our shared Roman Sites, only difference was we had already gridded it all.
I think if you had been first we would have a much different post, oh well...

I'm working today but Cru'Dad is scouting & has already spotted that the 'Metal Working Site' has been deep ploughed. Now that is exciting.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Roman Silvers in that condition is a great day, but sounds like you were too slow.
Tinpan asked why we are in a rush & competition is another good reason. Cru'Dad spotted 2 detectorist the other day on one of our shared Roman Sites, only difference was we had already gridded it all.
I think if you had been first we would have a much different post, oh well...

I'm working today but Cru'Dad is scouting & has already spotted that the 'Metal Working Site' has been deep ploughed. Now that is exciting.:thumbsup:

You're right, competition is a big issue here. Lots of detectorist in the fields. It's kind of a race sometimes. Results had been better for sure if i had time on saturday.
Good luck with Metal Working Site, i bet there is another stater waiting! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nice round Lu. Were the silver coins deeper? Looks like they missed the fertilizer. Good luck.

Just as deep as usual. First cut with the spade got them out. Both had a layer of oxidation on, the Caracalla in a nice green tone like a bronze coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread