Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a permission on a fairly new farm house built in the 60s, but in a fairly older area. Its a large chunk of very hilly land... Started by working my way toward the back of the property via a path down the middle, then around the property line at the south side of the land back towards the front, looking for signs of previous inhabitation... did I mention it was very hilly.

Most of my trek was pretty quiet with the exception of barbed wire and fencing staples.
Soon i began to recognize those tones. Finally at the SW corner of the land I reached somewhat of a flat section cut deeply by a dry creek bed. It was nice to finally be in the shade and I thought surely here i would find the goods... and i did, kind of.

Found my first horse shoe, my first shotgun headstamps, possibly a square nail... Amazingly only one beavertail pulltab was found.

When the headstamps started appearing and realizing they may date to the 20s and 30s i got hopeful. I thought surely someone would have dropped some change while fumbling for their next round or taking a break under a tree... But not even a penny was found.

This was also my first hunt with the new to me but used XP Deus. So i also spent some time switching between programs, rechecking signals and retracing my steps to see if Id get different results.

I still have another half of the property to check, and plan ro rework the area around the creek, as well as the creek bed and in some places over 10ft high side walls. But looking at the old homestead maps, it was a pretty empty area. Im also keeping an eye out for indian relics as a few tribes were known to inhabit these creek valleys. Im finding quartz and sandstone, and the usual river rock looking stones, but nothing too exciting yet..

Here are the headstamps
20170812_225349_002.jpg

And the before pile. Ignore any clad and bottle caps, they were in the pan from a previous park hunt.
20170812_221106.jpg

Upvote 10

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is what it is, I have plenty of pull rings in where I am hunting now but the head stamps sure give them a run for the money. it is nice to go for a while without the pull tabs etc. I guess there was a lot of bird/rabbit/squirrel hunting going on in my area and maybe the same in yours. hopefully you will begin finding what you are hoping for soon enough

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is what it is, I have plenty of pull rings in where I am hunting now but the head stamps sure give them a run for the money. it is nice to go for a while without the pull tabs etc. I guess there was a lot of bird/rabbit/squirrel hunting going on in my area and maybe the same in yours. hopefully you will begin finding what you are hoping for soon enough

Exactly. It was great to be on some new ground finding different types of items though and I'm looking forward to going back. But that ground is so hard packed I'm going to need a pick hammer or at least a better shovel. A lot of effort went into digging and hacking out those finds.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a personal grudge against shotgun shells.....

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm on old ground and dig shot gun shells, it's just like pull tabs to me. You have to dig them, you never know if it's an old button, or nickel. Good luck. Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread