Ok, it's not old,but I got my first gold.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the ''dead season'' of July to September I decided to go on a practice in the local park. I have to admit it's really not my usual hunting grounds as it was only my 3rd hunt in a public place. Went there with the intention of finding my very first gold object so dug every pull tab in the area. After 2,5 hours was ready to go home but got a high 75 signal on my Deus. Thought it was an other Toonie (Canadian 2 dollars coin) so decided to dig the last target. Was really surprised when this shiny beauty came out of the ground. It was still attached to a gold colored chain(that turned out to be plated and might explain the high signal).

The awesome part is my first gold turned out to be a 24 karat one. It seems to have an image of Buddha on the lotus. Really happy with this find. It's not big or old or a Spanish Dobloon but it's my very first gold item. Just wanted to share the moment with you.

P.S. I'm done with the parks. Don't know how some of you guys do it but I'm destroyed after only 2,5 hours (I'm used to 8 hours field or woods hunts). My knees and shoulder hurt like crazy from constant use of the digger. I really missed my shovel, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

20170813_214304.jpg
20170813_214323.jpg
20170813_214246.jpg
20170814_092537.jpg
DSC_1722.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 59

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty sweet gold! congrats new, old or whatever it is still gold!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first Gold find

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find but I don't think it'd Bhudda. I could be wrong but to me it looks like a Catholic "Our lady of Guadalupe".

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=our+lady+of+guadalupe&FORM=HDRSC2&PC=MOZB

What made me think it's Buddha is the fact that the person on the pendant stands in the flower that looks like a Lotus (classic Buddhist image). The item is 24k gold which reflects the purity used in South Asia. Also the back of the item seems to again have a flower design.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What made me think it's Buddha is the fact that the person on the pendant stands in the flower that looks like a Lotus (classic Buddhist image). The item is 24k gold which reflects the purity used in South Asia. Also the back of the item seems to again have a flower design.

Now that you mention it, I see a poorly stamped 14k with some scratches that maybe look like a two.
But I reserve the right to be wrong from time to time, and in no way mean to deminish your find.
Any gold is awesome gold.

Screenshot_2017-08-14-17-00-06.png 2017-08-14 17.03.07.png

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just gorgeous! Congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that you mention it, I see a poorly stamped 14k with some scratches that maybe look like a two.
But I reserve the right to be wrong from time to time, and in no way mean to deminish your find.
Any gold is awesome gold.

View attachment 1483186 View attachment 1483187

I'll have to check it. But the metal is very soft, heavy and the color makes me think it's a 24. I actually see a 2 where you see the 1. What you see as a straight line might be the reflection of light as there's absolutely no line on the pendant itself.I added a pic where I took a picture of the pendant in a day light. The color is something I only seen before in gold coins.

I agree, any gold is a good gold and I wouldn't mind if it was 14 but I do clearly see a 24 there. The picture doesn't do justice as I took it in the evening.

Thanks for the comment.

P.S. Just took a better pic with my DSLR It's not a 1 as in 14 for sure.

DSC_1722.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece, congratulations! :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
24 Karat gold! I didn't know people even used that for jewelry. Congrats on a nice piece of pure gold.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected, I do see the 2 more clearly now. That's awesome!!!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking gold medal!! Congrats on your first and many more to come!! HH

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the first!

Soooo,,,,maybe digging for clad, on average of once every 6 mins or so, on one's knees, with a small hand digger, in a park. Isn't quite such a simple task as many seem to think, eh? :tongue3:

Thank you.

Agree, I underestimated the effort park hunters put in their hobby. Always thought fields hunting was harder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread