sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't looked the yard across the street from my house lately which had produced a handful of odds and ends, but no coins. I worked a little closer to the street than I had in the past and got a fairly stable 45 and figured I'd dig it. A lot of oak roots in the way, couldn't pinpoint it, nail bits, and so forth. I didn't have my pruning shears but I did have my shovel, so I cut out a shonuff plug. All this time the signal had gone up to the high 50s, so I was thinking a nickel. I was really sick of chasing whatever it was, but it finally showed its crustyass face (the soil is a b!tch on copper around here). My 81 year-old neighbor always joins me if he sees me over there. I said, "It ain't no nickel. Looks like a penny, but I can't tell what kind." He says, "Let me see." I learnt my lesson, fortunately, with a clad find a year or so ago, so I looked up and he already had his pocketknife opened and ready for bidness. I politely declined and rubbed it with my finger enough to see what looked like an Indian princess, took it over to my son, who said it looked like 1865. After a couple more Lincoln memorials, I headed back to the house and started hot peroxide soaks. After 6 or 7 baths, it looks like there may be a decent coin under all that mess, but that's gonna take several more days and toothpicks, then I'll probably drop it into olive oil for a few months.
So, here it is. Don't know what to make of the low signals, but I'm glad I didn't quit. Ended up being my oldest coin to date. :hello2:

IHP obv.jpg IHP rev.jpg

Upvote 37
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great looking IH! :occasion14:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woohoo! That is one sweet find. Congrats!! 1865 IH would blow me away if I found it! For that matter, any IH would do the same! Moral to the story....never give up on a beep!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is actually a pretty good example of an early Indian...dropped by a jubilant Yankee, or a downtrodden Confederate?

Nicely done!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice old Indian. Looks like you are getting some great detail across the headband. LIBERTY! Sweet!:headbang:

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everybody. It's only the third IHP that I've found. The other two were plum pitiful.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the IH and the cleaning job looks good too

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the IH and the cleaning job looks good too

Thanks, but it's got a ways to go yet. My old fingers were about ready for Madge and a Palmolive soak, so I turned it over to Olive Oyl. Anybody had any luck with ultrasonic cleaners on crusty copper?

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great indian, hard to get out but you got well rewarded :thumbsup: I guess we have to dig everything exceding 40 mark. I have a Delta and I think I would have missed it completely. I have the tendency to dig only from the 60s and up while coin hunting, not the best idea it seems. Curious to know why it rang in the 50s for a copper, I know there's a lot of variables but still curious.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There it is good job!!!!!!!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a nice looking Indian Head Penny and doesn't look ruined by cleaning. Do you have a before/after picture of penny and peroxide treatment? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread