A Few Keepers This Evening

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all,

Got out for a few hours this evening to hit some sidewalk strips outside a nearby construction project. Wasn't a banner day but I was happy to nab a few keepers.

I found two old coin spills which was fun. The first had a 45 Wheat, 57-D Wheat and 41 Nickel. The nickel really irked me because one year later and it's silver, 3 years earlier and it's a buffalo. It's just sort of in nickel no-mans land. Question, do you guys keep these older but "not as valuable" nickels?

The other spill had a 28-D and 18-D wheats.

Here are my totals on the day:
-5 Wheats (18-D, 28-D, 45, 45-S, 57-D)
-11 Memorial Cents
-2 Canadian Pennies
-3 Nickels (one being a 1941)
-4 Dimes
-1 Quarter
-1 Key
-1 Pocketknife

View attachment 1483641

View attachment 1483642

View attachment 1483643

Also, I returned to the site where I was getting a perfect 88-signal (silver quarter) on the DFX while out a few nights ago. I thought it was just buried under a root so I brought a little handsaw to cut through it.

Well, turns out the root is actually part of the stump and it has grown around the coin. I think I could probably get it by cutting a little chunk of the stump out with a sawzall. My question is, would you do that? Is it too desperate? [emoji23]

Here's a photo of my attempt this evening:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502859803.660854.jpg

Luck in the hunt folks! More to come soon.

-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the hunt! :occasion14:

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<<The nickel really irked me because one year later and it's silver and 3 years earlier it's a buffalo. It's just sort of in nickel no-mans land. >>

^^Quoted for truth!!!

Nice finds!!!

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great hunt! Nothing wrong with a '41 nickel.. I consider any wheats or wheat-era Jefferson nickels "keepers" or score coins as I call them.
I would definitely cut that old root out and see what is inside. I was ready to give up on a hole last week because of a root but kept digging around it and there was a '46 wheat on edge against it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread