1785??? Any ideas?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for a little over an hour before dark and dug this up. I don't know what it is or could be but it rang in high on the numbers.....like silver would. My wife asked if it could be something from a gun....that's when I figured I'd leave it to some more experienced people on here to give some insight! Thanks. 20170815_213356.jpg

Upvote 7

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it curved or flat? What are its dimensions? What sort of place were you at when you dug it up? Do you know any history of that spot?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laid on yardstick for reference. This was about 15 yards off of the RR that was completed in 1867...ish. this twp. Was established in 1790, with early settlers along the creek which in reality follows the RR or the other way around, lol.

Technically, this would have been the outskirts of a very early farm that was 1770's. Another home was built a little closer, maybe a 1/4 mile or so from the spot this was dug. That home was built in 1825. Now, it is a pavilion area that has been there since the 60's I believe. Most of the dirt is dark, but seems rather rocky to not be fill. This was found right on the edge of what I think was old dirt. That's why I'm kinda stumped. Then I wondered if it were a serial number.....or an actual date. 20170816_150934.jpg

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is but, I don't think it's silver. Corrosion in your find indicates it's some other pot metal type of thing. I have dug LOTS of silver sounding targets that were just some alloy metal and piece of trash. 1785 could be a part number? No idea.:dontknow:

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I was just stating that it was a high tone like silver. Pretty sure its not silver just from the color alone.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be pewter? The 1785 could be a patent date or serial number?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion, but I think you have a RR location marker. The 1785 is the tag number, not a date. They were used at different points along then track, kind of like a mile marker is used today but it marks a location, not a distance. I think this had to do with the telegraph lines that usually ran alongside the tracks. Could be totally wrong, though.

Sounds logical to me! I will try to find some research on them. Thanks.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could very well be. How do you get a definite on pot metal?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pot metal is a crude aluminum/tin metal. It rings up high tone, brittle, corrodes, and turns gray when old. There are a couple cap gun websites you could search, only a guess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread