Cut Large Cent

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been doing much detecting lately, but I got out the other night on a site I've hunted a couple times before. I decided to deal with the noise and go for some all-metal mode swinging. It paid off. I was able to sniff out a couple signals I missed. One of them was this cut Largie. Pretty cool. I've actually never dug a cut coin. The date is on the other half unfortunately. It's worn, but I'm pretty sure it's a Braided Hair, right? There's no line under the One Cent. How common are cut copper large cents, especially getting into Braided Hair years? I guess somebody really needed a half cent :) Anyway, good hunt. Happy to get out digging again.

cut-large-cent-obverse.jpg cut-large-cent-reverse.jpg

Upvote 34
OP
OP
V

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I'm pretty sure the thick Braided Hair cents were worth more than 1 cent of copper. That fact probably lent a half-cut Braided Hair Large Cent some value/support. The half cent denomination was still being produced at the time of course, and you could still buy something for a half cent. So all said, maybe cut Large cents are more common than I figured. They're just hard to find :)

In terms of actual cutting, I assumed folks just used a hammer and a chisel/knife?

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats . Treasurer is great!!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!

I vaguely remember something about this....maybe at end of their use? Something about some stores still accepted them? And they were being bought? After a certain point there was no "buy back" and stores accepted them maybe? They were even quartered. But I can not remember the theories or reason why.:BangHead:

Man, I wish I could remember what I was told about this by an old coin dealer ...... the end of their use and why some were chopped....I've had them with stamps(metal stamped) or Letters stamped in them too but I think that was a whole different thing. I don't think it was related too being chopped in half or quarters.

Last edited:

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Vermonter! My only good theory for the cut large cents is that coins at certain times and in certain areas were scarce... folks would likely use what they had and once small cents were made, having a large cent would be like having three or four small ones, I guess. Waste not, want not! Pretty unusual find in any case. I have only ever found one... it's a quarter cent:

Cut LC.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions