Playing the end game gives up Rev War and one very old anchor button!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a friend in town (Cerebus on here), and we've been digging some dirt. Sites are tough right now with most fields planted so the end game we are playing is detecting sites that are pretty close to the end, which is oh so different than once upon a time ...because they were great sites! Looking at my little pile of finds it looks like my typical post from a day out with Ironhorse in the Fall, but oh no, this was many hours worth. :) Like I said these places have been hit well, clearly not dead yet, but you do have to work for it.

All that said, I'm very satisfied with the results. The Rev War RP button didn't survive well, but that's expected for those. The Ross Guards is cool, and clearly a rare one as I found another a decade ago and no one seems to know anything and I've never seen another. What makes it even stranger is this one is a variant, having no crown like the first I dug. So now I have two and no answers - but do feel there is a very high probability they are from Ross-shire, Scotland. This Winter I will see if I can figure that out.

Last but not least, is my best and most interesting button I've dug in a while. It's a crude anchor design hand engraved tombac. It's early French and would date somewhere between 1720 and 1750.

Ironhorse if you see this...

The RP is from the little RP hill site in T.

The Ross Guards is from the NJ field, not far from where you got the Master button last year.

The French anchor is from the Cossack Cob site. So quiet it was tough not to leave after the first 20 minutes, but stayed and the button was my first signal maybe 30 feet in front of the iron. I dug three more targets in the hour that followed, all away from the site.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Mvc-034s.jpg
    Mvc-034s.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 106
  • thumbnail_20170818_205434.jpg
    thumbnail_20170818_205434.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 40
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here is another resource. Lots of hits for Ross Cavalry so the Horse Guards items do seem to be related to Ross, Ireland. Also see this part where it is stated the Ross Yeomanry had a Cavalry and an Infantry corps. Perhaps they had different buttons?

https://books.google.com/books?id=ueIvAAAAMAAJ&q=ross+cavalry#v=snippet&q=ross cavalry&f=false

eta here is the link to the Ross Infantry hits as well-

https://books.google.com/books?id=ueIvAAAAMAAJ&q=ross+cavalry#v=snippet&q=ross infantry&f=false

Attachments

• rossguards4.jpg
    rossguards4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That has to be one of the most unique buttons I've seen. And very historically significant as well. Nice going!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of a kind buttons you found there.
Nice going

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hand-engraved anchor button is awesome - a real connection to a person from hundreds of years ago.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are able to find some more good sites, but it looks like the old ones are still producing. Those buttons are top notch, the ROSS button is a great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread