DukeBoxer

Feb 3, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave and Compadre
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't post my finds because, as cool as they are for me I always think someone has found something better. This pin seemed pretty worthy. My neighborhood was built in the early 1950's as affordable housing for returning vets. In my yard I've found a bunch of wheat pennies and 2 silver dimes, a 45 Merc and a 46 Rosie. Up the street from me there's a house that's been empty for a long time so I decided to go and detect there. I found tons of pennies, wheats and Lincolns. Almost like they just threw them all over the yard, every couple of steps there was another signal. In the front yard I found a silver Washington and a silver Merc and in the backyard a silver Rosie. I thought I had finished up there but decided one night to go back and check again. I found another penny I missed and then got this signal. I pulled it out and realized it was a pin, walked around a little more and then came back to the house to clean it up. It says "Naval Ordnance Development Award" "United States Navy" and "Bureau of Ordnance". I looked it up online and saw it's missing something in the center. It's a pretty neat find and goes along with the story my uncle told me about the neighborhood being built for returning vets. He used to work for the water company and ran all the water lines.

View attachment IMG_20170812_154252755.jpg

Upvote 16

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. We all would love to see your finds even if it is a crusty zinc penny. Looking at other peoples finds never gets old for me.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's still a great find !!
It's missing the ordnence, as shown here: (and maybe it was discarded for that reason??)
c76b8f2025cd5781c596a71ce30c3cd94878629a.jpg

Don.....

OP
OP
D

DukeBoxer

Feb 3, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave and Compadre
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, that's it! Thanks everyone

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find that's really cool. The reason I think its good to post even if you think your finds aren't that great so others know that this is the way this hobby is there are many people with great finds but usually different people at different times. The reality is a lot of us are lucky to find a silver coin and not many people see that. Like you they see all the really great finds and think that's the only time you should post, Just a thought... Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread