1650s IHS Jesuit Trade ring

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I made my best find yet!! I'm still new to metal detecting. Just started this summer and am totally hooked. Dug a semi sketchy signal mid 50s yesterday after finding tons of scrap copper reading in the same area. Pulled this out and was praying it wasn't more garbage. When I saw the front I nearly had a heart attack. So here it is! My IHS Jesuit fur trade ring from the 1650s. Dug it in a field that had long houses and captured christians during the 1650s. I still can't believe it!! Hope you all enjoy.

-Brandon

IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3065.JPG IMG_3063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 58

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. If it could tell its story

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! What a heckuva find to get your started. It doesn't take much to get hooked but when you get the first great find its usually over....detecting for life. I also love the way you propped the ring up for the pic. Where did you find this? Like generally. Did you find anything else?

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! What a heckuva find to get your started. It doesn't take much to get hooked but when you get the first great find its usually over....detecting for life. I also love the way you propped the ring up for the pic. Where did you find this? Like generally. Did you find anything else?

Thank you! [emoji4] oh trust me, I know. Hahah I was hooked long before I found this. I found a lot of neat stuff so far but nothing this remarkable. I found it in the fingerlakes region of New York. There's lots of Indian history up here! I actually used a musket frizzen I found to prop the ring up for this picture haha at that site I've found the ring, frizzen, two seperate rear sites to trade muskets, a dozen musket balls, and some trade beads. I've only been there 3 times so far and it hasn't been plowed in awhile. Hopefully they'll plow it sometime so I can find even more!

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. If it could tell its story

Gosh I know!! I can only imagine what it's seen. A member on here sent me a research paper on them and I learned it was most likely made in Poitou France and shipped from La Rochelle somewhere between 1575-1670. The things it must have seen...

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's an awesome find with lots of history. It's in great shape, and the patina is perfect. :notworthy:

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's an awesome find with lots of history. It's in great shape, and the patina is perfect. :notworthy:

Thank you!! I'm so lucky to have found it. The patina is gorgeous! The bottom part is still attached as well, it is just bent a bit.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BANNER Vote here - Congratulations!! :notworthy: :hello2:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
An absolute wonderful find. Its a perfect mix of age and patina. Congrats on great find

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Great find in nice condition! :icon_thumleft:
I don't know much about trade items and their history other then what i learned on TN. Rings with the IHS motto are fairly common over here and i know they were used as trade in your part of the world. More info would be appreciated!

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Great find in nice condition! :icon_thumleft:
I don't know much about trade items and their history other then what i learned on TN. Rings with the IHS motto are fairly common over here and i know they were used as trade in your part of the world. More info would be appreciated!

I don't know a whole lot yet, but I'll tell you what I've learned! This style was the earliest style produced from 1575-1730s it was most popular during the early 1600s until 1670s when the other styles took over in popularity. I'm pretty confident this one is right around 1650. It was most likely made in Poitou France and shipped to Canada from the La Rochelle port. I think the French used them a lot to trade with the native Americans. They were apparently a pretty nice item to have back in the day. If I find out anymore I will definitely let you know!
Here is a link someone on TN gave me. It has some nice info if you're interested.
http://orb.binghamton.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1253&context=neha

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! Interesting info as well. Congrats! I'm voting banner!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread