Day 3 at Cellar Hole: Silver, Copper, Buttons, Buckles and Civil War in 2 Hours!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I called my father and told him that I was going to the colonial cellar hole that I found. I was hoping for some buttons and maybe a coin if I was lucky. I went a few days ago for less than five minutes, found a button, but then got drenched by a severe downpour (and the rain was louder than my metal detector, which was more quiet from water around the speaker). Anyways, Dad went off the trail (a colonial road, abandoned around 1800, and used as a trail long after). I went next to the cellar hole. I pulled out a pewter button right after turning on the metal detector. Dad yells that he found a button with an anchor. Shortly after I found another button, and then another. My dad kept finding them too. Within half an hour we had a total of 5 buttons between us. I got a nice shallow signal, and dug up the chape from a shoe buckle. I also found a colonial trash pit, which I didn't have time to go through, which had a colonial iron spoon and butter knife. There was also a dandy button in it. I moved farther away from the cellar hole and found an interesting buckle, and an iron buckle. My dad came over yelling that he found a large cent on the trail, his first copper ever. Five minutes later he comes over again yelling that he found silver on the trail, an seated dime. I decided to go the other direction on the trail, and found a clad time and a shotgun shell. My dad's button is a Civil War navy button, the only military button found at any site I have been to. No battles were ever fought anywhere near where I was. Overall this was an extremely fun hunt, probably one of the most productive hunts ever.

DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0581.JPG DSC_0594.JPG DSC_0595.JPG DSC_0606.JPG DSC_0607.JPG DSC_0603.JPG DSC_0591.JPG DSC_0618.JPG DSC_0590.JPG DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0598.JPG

Upvote 43
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The navy button is newer than I believed, this backmark, Horstmann Philadelphia, appears to be used from 1893-1935.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, Coinman Sr. whipped some butt! Nice outing. Must be nice hunting with your dad. Cheers [emoji482]

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, Coinman Sr. whipped some butt! Nice outing. Must be nice hunting with your dad. Cheers [emoji482]

He's the real coinman :laughing7:, I can't find a decent coin for my life right now, and he finds two beautiful ones!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your dad did great...looks like an awesome spot with a lot left to find!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely killer hunt guys:occasion14: lot of great stuff out there. That lc is in great condition :headbang: Lots of buttons ,all different time frames. They were probably in the navy,and brought it back with them. I found my US plate in dunbarton,I know they didn't fight the civil war up here:cool: Keep it up there,methinks there's plenty more:tchest::weee:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.s Love the buckles:rocks:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
P.s Love the buckles:rocks:

Thanks! I hope to eventually find a complete shoe buckle, right now I have enough parts to make a few complete Frankenstein shoe buckles. Any idea what the small complete buckle is? It looks newer than the other stuff I found near the cellar hole.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds there! Love the detail on the large cent. Congrats!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That oval shoe buckle is probably around 1750ish. The other one looks like a suspender buckle but I can't tell the age without seeing the back,I would guess early 1800s. The pottery shard looks to be 1820-40. A very early site that was used a long time.There might be anything there.Check around the stone walls,I've found some nice buttons and even a stone pick. If this is western nh,clean it out before the stealth diggers get there:goldcoin::laughing7:
Keep checking the road,remember they were bumpy,things fell out all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That oval shoe buckle is probably around 1750ish. The other one looks like a suspender buckle but I can't tell the age without seeing the back,I would guess early 1800s. The pottery shard looks to be 1820-40. A very early site that was used a long time.There might be anything there.Check around the stone walls,I've found some nice buttons and even a stone pick. If this is western nh,clean it out before the stealth diggers get there:goldcoin::laughing7:
Keep checking the road,remember they were bumpy,things fell out all the time.

Thanks so much for the info! The shoe buckle chape is older than I thought! At first I thought the site was abandoned closer to 1800, but now after finding newer things I am thinking 1850's. No maps, the oldest one being from the 1850's, show this road or homestead. I am guessing it was abandoned just prior to the map, perhaps the homestead a little bit before the road (1840's). There was a railroad right next to where I was detecting, I assume that the stuff from the late 1800's is from the railroad. I hope the stealth diggers don't get there, that would probably ruin my day :laughing7:. This is my second honeyhole since I began metal detecting, the first one lasted from 2014-2016 and produced around 100 buttons and 20 coppers. I hope this one is almost as good!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys had one heck of a great hunt- Congrats to you both!

-- Jeff --

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very productive hunt! Love the buttons, and the detail on that large cent is amazing.

Corvid

Jan 5, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great assortment of finds! Sure there has to be more to discover there.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is western nh,clean it out before the stealth diggers get there:goldcoin::laughing7:

I looked at there Youtube page just now! Fun to watch, but being an NHer, I think that they might be hurting the hobby for everyone else in Western NH by cleaning out around 200 colonial cellar holes in the area. Most guys on here spend a lot of time just cleaning out one place, then moving on to the next. It seems like they clean a place in a day, and move to a new place the next day. I hope they don't do anything around here :laughing7:.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the button and buckle recoveries! Great day for your dad too! Love the old coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions