Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My family is in the process of moving to our new house. We have been living here for two months almost, but still don't even have all of our furniture in. My house is from around the mid 1740's, and is believed to be the oldest house still standing in the town. I guessed before I moved in that I wouldn't be the first one metal detecting there. In the grass, front yard, side yard, and backyard, the only old things I found were a Victorian brooch a very cool tool tag with the name of the local blacksmith from the 1870's, the silverware in the photo, and a little lead bar. In the woods right behind the house, I found an 1864 Indian Head cent in very good condition, and all of the buttons and the musket ball in the photo. In the loft of the barn I found an old wooden kerosene lamp holder, a 1960's industrial ventilation fan, a 1970's/1980's Puch 210 Austro-Daimler Bicycle, tons of old lead painted doors and windows, and a Victorian steamer trunk. There is a photo of the house from around 2000 in the library, and in the front yard is a man either holding a weed whacker, or a metal detector (it would be funny if it was actually a metal detector). It is amazing to think that the stuff that I find at my house was once owned by the people who once lived in my house. It is also cool to live in a house the same age as most of my earliest colonial sites.

Sorry that my post isn't exactly following the rules of Today's Finds, considering that the finds in the photo were found over the course of 5 or 6 brief hunts. I also found a Red Ryder BB Gun and 1700's Sickle, neither are in the photo.

DSC_0646.JPG DSC_0655.JPG DSC_0631.JPG

Upvote 33

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet wished i lived there

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll shoot your eye out! Lol...couldn't resist. Looks like you'll be spending plenty time in your own yard, I know I sure would! Great finds, I'm sure we'll be seeing more soon, Ddf.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty exciting I would love that...I hate to break it to you but your house may be haunted. The specter will be back in the throws of the night to retrieve his sickle. I received a message from the other side. They don't like that you are taking the wall down and wish you would stop...BOOOOOOO Keep us posted on any more cool stuff I'm surprised the house is still standing lol

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty exciting I would love that...I hate to break it to you but your house may be haunted. The specter will be back in the throws of the night to retrieve his sickle. I received a message from the other side. They don't like that you are taking the wall down and wish you would stop...BOOOOOOO Keep us posted on any more cool stuff I'm surprised the house is still standing lol

Lol! I believe in ghosts and stuff, my old house was much newer, from the 1870's or 1880's (new compared to the house I now live in lol). Most of the house was fine, but once in a great while this horribly negative spirit would come, and even showed itself to the kids. Everyone saw a little girl at my old house, we later found out that a 10 year old girl and boy died there in the 1880's. My new house isnt as bad as my old one, although during the inspection I saw a little kid in the window, thought it was the old owner's 3 year old daughter until I realized that she was out with her dad. Other than that I haven't noticed much else, though one person in my family was freaked out saying that they saw a man sitting under the barn, who faded into thin air. I don't feel anything negative though, unlike my old house. I would freak out if I saw a ghost asking for his sickle back lol, or his buttons. I am not sure how I would return them though lol. I can never believe how long some of these wood houses last, the house is in better condition than a lot of modern houses according to the inspector. The basement has no mortar in the stones, and a dirt floor. I open a trapdoor in my dining room and walk into what feels like a colonial cellar hole. We had a huge chain of downpours and it never flooded once. I traced back everyone who ever lived in the house since it was built, cool to think that a lieut in the French and Indian War and head of the town's militia built my house.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I believe in ghosts and stuff, my old house was much newer, from the 1870's or 1880's (new compared to the house I now live in lol). Most of the house was fine, but once in a great while this horribly negative spirit would come, and even showed itself to the kids. Everyone saw a little girl at my old house, we later found out that a 10 year old girl and boy died there in the 1880's. My new house isnt as bad as my old one, although during the inspection I saw a little kid in the window, thought it was the old owner's 3 year old daughter until I realized that she was out with her dad. Other than that I haven't noticed much else, though one person in my family was freaked out saying that they saw a man sitting under the barn, who faded into thin air. I don't feel anything negative though, unlike my old house. I would freak out if I saw a ghost asking for his sickle back lol, or his buttons. I am not sure how I would return them though lol. I can never believe how long some of these wood houses last, the house is in better condition than a lot of modern houses according to the inspector. The basement has no mortar in the stones, and a dirt floor. I open a trapdoor in my dining room and walk into what feels like a colonial cellar hole. We had a huge chain of downpours and it never flooded once. I traced back everyone who ever lived in the house since it was built, cool to think that a lieut in the French and Indian War and head of the town's militia built my house.
I know how I would return the sickle. I also believe in ghosts. There is a program I love listening to that is still on the air right now its called coast to coast am Art Bell hosted it for a long time and you can listen to his shows any time on there website or late night radio. This is easy to get hooked on check it out I bet you would love it coast to coast am!!!!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story and sweet IHP!!!!:occasion14:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the potential there for a excellent find,as in Spanish silver,shilling,chain cent,gw you get the picture:thumbsup: If that was MY house,the yard would look like the movie holes:laughing7: Check the dirt cellar and run a pinpointer around the stone foundation,they used to hide coins in between them sometimes. Good luck:metaldetector:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the ghost stories, I lived in the what was the oldest house in weare back in the 70s. It was built by Thomas worthley in 1751. To this day, I can remember the place being haunted. I could write a book about everything that happened there. But here's 2 examples. The windows were all the old blown glass type. We would sit in the dining room and you would see someone in colonial dress walk by the the windows toward the door,no one was ever there. That must have happened to my mother and I at least 50 times. Another prominent thing was to get woken up in the middle of the night to he sound of chopping wood right outside,that happened quite a bit too. So yeah,I believe in ghosts. Don't tick them off. If on your property,you find what you might think is a grave,keep on walking:laughing7:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How exciting for you and thanks for sharing! I love the buttons..and your photos are great. I keep walking our property (inhabited in the 1850s) but no standing structure. We built and I wasn't into detecting until a few years later...I wonder what is buried under our house. Anyway...whenever I feel like detecting...and not traveling..I just go play in the yard and I keep finding an occasional new goodie besides nails. buckles, pennies, buttons....more nails [emoji6]

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a little bit about moving into an old house. My house was built in 1900 and I moved in July 18th.
Although I am not unpacked,, I have found time to swing the coil.
Congrats on your recoveries. Those buttons and the IHP are in great shape.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the ghost stories, I lived in the what was the oldest house in weare back in the 70s. It was built by Thomas worthley in 1751. To this day, I can remember the place being haunted. I could write a book about everything that happened there. But here's 2 examples. The windows were all the old blown glass type. We would sit in the dining room and you would see someone in colonial dress walk by the the windows toward the door,no one was ever there. That must have happened to my mother and I at least 50 times. Another prominent thing was to get woken up in the middle of the night to he sound of chopping wood right outside,that happened quite a bit too. So yeah,I believe in ghosts. Don't tick them off. If on your property,you find what you might think is a grave,keep on walking:laughing7:

It must have been interesting and a little scary to live in a place that haunted! The previous owners said that they once saw a man with a top hat sitting in their leather chair, in the oldest part of the house. I wonder how long it will be until I experience something like that. At my old house I would have someone like that happen once every few months. I will just let who ever is already here be, and leave them alone for the most part. If I find a grave on my property I would probably have nightmares :laughing9:.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Coinman! I love old homes! Unfortunately, you don't see too many that old still standing here in Texas. I wouldn't mind having a ghost around as long as it's a friendly one. Have you checked to see if anything is buried in the basement? If possible, can you post a picture of your home?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds Coinman! I love old homes! Unfortunately, you don't see too many that old still standing here in Texas. I wouldn't mind having a ghost around as long as it's a friendly one. Have you checked to see if anything is buried in the basement? If possible, can you post a picture of your home?

I have my camera on the porch right now ready for the eclipse, but can manage to maybe take a photo soon. I went with the pin pointer in the basement (electrical would probably make my metal detector useless), and found tons of nails (every type from rose head, to round head), and a lot of little chunks of iron and one piece of sheet brass.

Actually I just checked, and I have a photo of my house (the old part, although there are around three other additions from the late 1700's and early 1800's, and one room added in the 1980's) on my laptop. I put it in sepia though for some reason before though. There is also a barn, with most of the posts and beams from the early to mid 1700's, but it was redone (maybe torn down and rebuilt) in around 1850 as an eight stall bank barn.

house.png

Somebody told me that the six pane windows are because of a British window tax at the time, though I can't find evidence of this happening in the US. My house looks like a mix between a Georgian and a Cape.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked the attic for goodies. Ghosts will make the room cold when they are present!!!!!

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to find stuff right in your back yard. Shame you are to late, but theres always more to be found. Why not do some digging and see what you can sift out from around the house? maybe theres an old glass dump nearby

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Always nice to find stuff right in your back yard. Shame you are to late, but theres always more to be found. Why not do some digging and see what you can sift out from around the house? maybe theres an old glass dump nearby

When the frost comes I will be able to shamelessly disturb the grass. Maybe get a sifter and sift some dirt from next to the front door steps. I may even find some Native American artifacts, considering that the man who built my house built it in an area very populated with Native Americans until 1800. It was built a couple miles away from the village, on a lot that no one wanted originally our of fear of being so far away from the middle of town during an Indian raid. I read somewhere that the Indians were hired by the French during the 1750's, and even shot an arrow that landed inches away from the man who built my house. He became a rich man later on, owning nearly a quarter of the town's land at one point (with the lot my house is on being the only lot originally owned by him on early town plans), and he was a Lieut and head of the town's militia. His son was a private in the Revolutionary War, and lived in the house for another 40 years. His son, a reverend in the church, also then lived there for 40 years or so. The house stayed in that family for a long period of time, before staying in the hands of another family for another 100 years or so. Maybe I will find some black glass or old blue and white china while digging.

I am proud that someone in the past thought that it was metal detecting worthy, but a bit bummed out that they took a large amount of the stuff there. I am sure that there has to be some more coins and buttons somewhere though, maybe not just as obvious to find. The woods have certainly never been hunted at least.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread