paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started a new permission this weekend that I'd been hoping to work on for awhile now. The house is a classic colonial and the yard has never been hunted before. I spent some time just talking with the owner who is very much into history as well and we swapped all sorts of stories. He also showed me the lot next to his house and it's completely invisible from the road, but there's the unmistakable outline of a colonial cellar stone foundation with no cellar hole!

That one might be next on the hunting list, but for now I worked on his yard. It quickly became clear that about two thirds of the yard was trash pits of some age or another. One corner was older with oyster shells and pottery, while other parts were newer with aluminum fragments. It'll take some time to clear those, but I did have a good start despite the trash signals.

One of the first finds was this fragment of silver-plate:

DSC02404.JPG

It says "Richfield Plate Co" "Quadruple" and the stamped number is 18. The company seems sort of obscure and I guess they were a subsidiary of Homan manufacturing. I was hoping to date it, especially if the "18" is a serial number stamp.

DSC02398.JPG DSC02400.JPG

Thereโ€™s only one token catalogue online that has these listed and information is scarce, but Harry Simmons started out as a furniture auctioneer house in the late 1800โ€™s and at some point branched into more of a department store type operation by the 1920โ€™s. The token depicts the PN-1 Navy flying boat which in 1925 (unsuccessfully) attempted the first non-stop flight from California to Hawaii. There was a large amount of publicity around the event so the token was probably issued right around then to take advantage of the public interest. Despite being somewhat recent it looks like these tokens faded into obscurity fairly quickly.

DSC02396.JPG DSC02402.JPG DSC02403.JPG

There was one large cent, a matron head, but I couldn't bring the date out. There were also eight wheat pennies ranging from 1923-1946. A cute little batwing buckle with the iron tongue still intact was a nice older relic and the standard harmonica reed/mason jar lid rounded out the day. The token was exciting though and hopefully there will be more to come!

Upvote 15

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...can't wait to see what comes out of there after you get all that trash picked out...Ddf

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way cool finds and Token! :headbang:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start good finds sounds like you got a goodin

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NY is doing rather well! The furniture token is neat as are you other finds including the large cent! Good day!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I like that token. Its very detailed and gives a lot of information.

DeepSea

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool token find! I encourage everyone to read about that flight and the pilot John Rodgers, its pretty amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread