OK I am tired of nails even if they are square!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After the eclipse I detected at home a bit hoping for a good find but just found lots of iron..:.the circle ring the most interesting to me as it was kind of smooth around. Happy eclipse today! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503367605.155795.jpg

Upvote 10

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really "nailed it" with that hunt! Digging up nails is better than being at work I reckon.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now all you gotta do is detect a hammer and you're in business! :laughing. Good job brotha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had a haaaaaamer, I'd hammer in the moo.ooornin...(but not too early)....from "sista" [emoji6]

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
A few informative articles talking about nails...

University of Vermont - Nails: Clues to a Building's History
Nails provide one of the best clues to help determine the age of historic buildings, especially those constructed during the nineteenth century...

Nail Chronology - National Park Service
tn_adobe.gif
PDF File 1.37MB
tn_adobe.gif

The National Park Service in its historic structures restoration program has developed some research techniques...
tn_nails_04.jpg

The History of Nail Making
History does not record who it was, but the incredible results of that inspirational moment are all around us - in the houses we live in, the bridges we cross, the furniture we sit on...

Your Online Source for Identifying Fakes and Reproductions - Nails As Clues to Age
Most everyone knows that handmade nails are older than machine made nails...

Last edited:

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Now glue that ring of nails onto a piece of barnwood just like pictured.... Folk Art.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes when I'm in the nails too deep, I move my search radius out into clearer ground, then slowly move inward again.

As far as the nails, it looks like you have a few nice ones. I enjoy tumbling them to remove the rust, then seal in wax. Here's an example ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503398940.734341.jpg it's not my best batch but it's the example I have handy. Anyways, keep going - there's bound to be a few non-ferrous keepers about

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of nails there, you should be getting to the goodies anytime now. Hang in there and good luck !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Square nails are one of the best indicators of old, Rose heads are even better as the site is even older. (That's in my location of the world) I'd rather dig ten Sq. nails than pull tabs anyday-but that's my own thinking. But digging ten out of every hole is "Ok going to sift this one out" as detecting it is useless.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain.

Trash finds Sunday.jpg

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are nice to find when looking for an old spot and your not sure exactly where the place once stood, once you find some square nails you know you found the spot. HH

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the informational resources, folk art ideas, cleaning ideas and encouragement! Yes, there's nothing like being able to step outside and hunt at my leisure...six acres of once used land back in the 1800s. It's still fun detecting but it is so much better when there is more than nails!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread