🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503371353.160014.jpg

I was lucky to find a a really old site just outside of Pittsburgh 10 minutes from my home. My research shows this homestead from early 1800's to end of 1800's. First fatty IHP, first 2 center, first Reale, first holed coin, first LC. First 1700's colonial buckle frags, first dandy button. There are a couple areas that are overgrown now that I will hit in the winter, but this is a pretty good picture of a virgin 1800's farm site hunt(s).

Last edited:
Upvote 39

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of really killer finds! I really like the Crotal bell and the buckles. Nice finds!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a Virgin site any more Congrats!!!!!! lots and lots of cool relics

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, you're homework was spot on! Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a whole lotta firsts- Congrats on the great finds!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice collection of really killer finds! I really like the Crotal bell and the buckles. Nice finds!

The crotal bell was one of my favorites as well. I just wish the larger one would've been complete. Thanks!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently, you found a real treasure trove. Congrats, keep digging there.

Thanks. In my mind the quarter acre site in the woods is complete. On Saturday I took a more veteran metal detecting collector with me. He was able to squeak out five or six keepers. I was not able to find anything other than lead and some iron bits. It was an amazing site for me for sure.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice! The finds are awesome, but my favorite part of your post is "My research shows this homestead from early 1800's to end of 1800's..." I love to see when efforts at research prove out in corresponding finds. Thanks for encouraging us all, and congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, very nice! The finds are awesome, but my favorite part of your post is "My research shows this homestead from early 1800's to end of 1800's..." I love to see when efforts at research prove out in corresponding finds. Thanks for encouraging us all, and congrats! :occasion14:

Thx! Research is the key for sure, followed by thoroughly understanding your detector, then of course a huge amount of good old fashion luck. I've found 2 other sites (not as old) that were also virgin sites and just as productive in the woods this year, but probably at least 25 other sites have turned out to be mostly busts. Lots of research, lots of hiking... oh and at least a barrel full of shotgun shell ends...

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those finds represent a pretty long period of occupation on that site, maybe as early as 1800 up through the late 1800s, which supports your research. You got some nice suspender clips there, including one that I have also found that is one of my favorites - the running buffalo!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see something else in your picture that looks familiar. the piece to the left of the three silver coins looks like it might be a keg spigot cap. Does it look like one of these?

Attachments

• Spigot parts 001.jpg
    Spigot parts 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Spigot parts 002.jpg
    Spigot parts 002.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wowee!! That is a fine batch of relics. Lucky you! Congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see something else in your picture that looks familiar. the piece to the left of the three silver coins looks like it might be a keg spigot cap. Does it look like one of these?

Good eye, yes correct.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is looking like a wonderful sight. Should keep ya plenty busy for some time with those awesome finds. Congrats on some wonderful finds.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those finds represent a pretty long period of occupation on that site, maybe as early as 1800 up through the late 1800s, which supports your research. You got some nice suspender clips there, including one that I have also found that is one of my favorites - the running buffalo!

Thx! Old suspender clips ring up like a silver quarter on my machine, no doubter signals. Fun to clean up especially when they have a nice design or date. The mid range tones at this site are the iffy ones, never modern trash, but often shotgun shell ends or casings or small flat buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions