cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend Jeff, who is brand new to the hobby, received permission to hunt one of the oldest estates in our area, and invited me along to help him work it. It is a massive estate...

hanna.jpg

Looking back at its history, the house and the land surrounding have gone through a number of iterations over 150 years or so; private school, gilded age cottage, concert venue, and, going as far back as we can at this point, a large farm. We had to jump through some hoops to get permission, including signing a two-page release of liability! Owned by a lawyer and well-patrolled by local authorities, so permission was a must. All well worth it so far.

Jeff got out into a grove of trees and immediately picked up a large cent with his new AT Pro, his first largie! So we decided to work this small area, maybe 50' x 50', and discovered signals literally everywhere. Within the first hour, it was clear there was something in this small area, as we recovered one deep colonial target after another. Aside from all sorts of horse and carriage parts, there were a slew of flat buttons (I got a beautiful one, full shank, 13 oak leaves in a circle), and, so far, at least seven old coppers, including my first two milled halfpennys and a decent Fugio:

IMG_1307.JPG

Jeff and I both agree there's a lot more work to do just in this small area, never mind the enormous swath of land beyond this little grove. In fact, headed back to the car got a screaming high signal on the Deus, which turned out to be a nice eagle ring, more modern of course, but silver with 10K gold:

image1-3.JPG

Kind of fell apart while I was rinsing it.

Hopefully Jeff joins the Treasurenet forum today so he can show his finds! Fingers crossed I hope to update this post with some more great recovered items.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting,

Steve

Upvote 30

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well worth the hoop jumping and ink. Congrats on the first outing it looks like the site will provide a bounty of recoveries for a longtime to come.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, especially the Fugio! They are not a common find. That site looks like a good spot. The buttons are cool as well.

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve!
You rock! Thanks for showing me the ropes of the hobby. I'll upload the rest of the finds tonight! (The button is a 1777 lottery coat button!) No idea on the eagle stamped relic though... I'll post and see if the crowd can help out. Thanks man! Hope you find that silver you are searching for!:thumbsup: Great job!
Jeff

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your persistence paid off. Awesome finds and hopefully more to follow. Keep us posted.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve!
You rock! Thanks for showing me the ropes of the hobby. I'll upload the rest of the finds tonight! (The button is a 1777 lottery coat button!) No idea on the eagle stamped relic though... I'll post and see if the crowd can help out. Thanks man! Hope you find that silver you are searching for!:thumbsup: Great job!
Jeff

Welcome to TNet Jeff! You are in a terrific area for detecting, and we have a forum for your state you will want to visit at Massachusetts

Congrats on an excellent first hunting spot and the finds so far. As you find more, please post them here for us to enjoy. Glad to have you in the hobby and our TNet community! :occasion14:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Cheffer, and thanks for sharing! You guys have a very rich spot there to hunt -- hit it hard and let us see what comes of it. Wishing you guys great luck (with a lot of jealousy! :laughing7:)!

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Spectacular finds and I'm drooling over the Fugio. You have an incredible site there and can't wait to see your next group of finds! Treasure filled fall season coming up!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, what a honey hole in the making! No telling what you are going to pull out of there. Nice Fugio!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd certainly call that a colonial sweet spot. The copper selection is excellent and suffice to say there's much more. Good luck!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve!
Jeff

Can't wait to get back in there! You don't need me to show you the ropes, you're doing pretty damn good on your own. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos, congrats on the lock cover and your coppers, not to mention those cufflinks. How they stayed together for over 200 years is a mystery.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow! Nice finds. Let Jeff know I'm ready to volunteer.
May be able to arrange that! Hope you're having fun at the beach, I keep expecting to see you post a big 'ol diamond ring. Give me a shout when you get back into town....

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you've got one heckuva of a site there- GL with your future hunts- hope you find a lot more keepers!

-- Jeff --

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds. Man that's awesome to the max....u got a bunch of great finds ahead...:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Well done, don't see many Fugio cents posted!! Would love to dig one, but there's zero percent chance of that happening on the left coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions