Another 3 Silver Day & My Brother Comes Out of MD Hibernation

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

To be honest, I was so tired from my marathon hunt yesterday that I wasn't even planning on going out. I was also kind of discouraged that after 6.5 hours of hunting yesterday I didn't find a single silver coin.

However, I had a couple hours this morning before I needed to get some work done this afternoon so I decided to give the 'ol detector a swing. I'm on vacation with my family in Island County, WA and one of the neighbors told me a few days ago that I was welcome to "Geiger count" the three little lots they owned whenever I felt like it.

I couldn't remember if my brother and I hit these lots years ago or not so I decided it was worth a shot. First lot was a bust. I found a Memorial penny and a bullet casing. My second signal at the second lot rang out as a pretty solid 78. "Cool!" I thought. "If I'm lucky I might find a silver ring or something!" Well, I was happily surprised to find a mercury dime after digging in the sand for a bit. Here it is just after digging it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503526561.665783.jpg

I immediately get a text from my brother (who hasn't been able to get out because of being busy and uninterested lately) "where are you??". I told him and he said he was headed over. In the meantime, I pulled a war nickel as well. So 6.5 hours yesterday and all I pull is 5 Wheats, 30 minutes today and I've already got two silver. That's just how it goes I guess!

I give him the lot that was producing and move on to the next one. A short while later he says "hey, come over here. Remember what I told you I wanted to find yesterday?" I was like "a buffalo or a silver quarter." "Well guess what I just found?" he said as he showed me this great looking buffalo nickel.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503526775.380345.jpg

We kept going for another hour and a half and managed a few more keepers. He pulled a wheatie and a tax token. I found a silver Rosie and this interesting Benjamin Franklin Memorial Souvenir token. It's so thick that I thought I might've pulled a fatty Indian head at first. Then I wiped away the back and saw what looked like the Lincoln Memorial. "F^*%!" I was thinking. "I got so excited." Then I realized it wasn't Lincoln's face on the front and thought maybe I had something foreign. When I saw 1790 on the front I got really excited [emoji23]. After some research it looks like a 1930s-era Benjamin Franklin Memorial Souvenir token. The front reads "Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790" and the back reads "Souvenir Benjamin Franklin Memorial The Franklin Institute".

Here's our keepers for the days. Not photographed is $3-$4 in clad. Top row are my finds, bottom row are my brothers'.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503527072.079464.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503527083.914375.jpg

In Order:
-1923-S Mercury Dime
-1943-S War Nickel
-1946-D Rosie
-Ben Franklin Token
-1916-D Buffalo Nickel
-1946-S Wheatie
-WA State Tax Token

Thanks for looking and luck in the hunt!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 20

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet! congrats to you and your brother

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice hunt for the both of you....Congrats !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good day out detecting with your brother and still getting some nice finds to boot, congrats.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt silver Redemption one day later

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on your coins, but I really like those state tax tokens.

I prefer the coins but the tokens are interesting!

My grandma was just telling me their history yesterday. Sometime around the depression a 1% federal sales tax was implemented for the first time. The tax rounded up so if you made a 10 cent purchase, you'd have to pay 1 cent in sales tax (even though that's a 10% tax rate).

A handful of states (WA being one of them) began making these so people wouldn't get gouged on small purchases. 3 tax tokens was equivalent to 1 cent. My grandma said you used to get them in change at the grocery store and other places you would shop.

She then mentioned "eventually there stopped making them because, a penny is a penny". Haha.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the coins but the tokens are interesting!

My grandma was just telling me their history yesterday. Sometime around the depression a 1% federal sales tax was implemented for the first time. The tax rounded up so if you made a 10 cent purchase, you'd have to pay 1 cent in sales tax (even though that's a 10% tax rate).

A handful of states (WA being one of them) began making these so people wouldn't get gouged on small purchases. 3 tax tokens was equivalent to 1 cent. My grandma said you used to get them in change at the grocery store and other places you would shop.

She then mentioned "eventually there stopped making them because, a penny is a penny". Haha.
She is correct. Its great to have her in your life to explain some of our history. What is really fun about finding the State Tax Tokens, is to see how many States you can actually find them from. I live in Illinois, but have found the tokens from Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, and Illinois. I obviously dont make it a quest, but when one does show up, it always makes it interesting to see where its from. Congrats again on your find.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You grabbed some really nice targets. The Franklin token is cool. Hard to get an early full date Buffalo and I do love Mercurys.
Co gets to you and your brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread