Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Me and a friend went to the cellar hole again, first we stopped at another one I spotted on the lidar. This one was filled with 1950's and 1960's steel and iron, and was already heavily metal detected, around a year ago based on the holes I saw there. I found a musketball embedded in wood on the side of another person's hole, and then left to go to my main one. There I got a signal and found 6 early 1800's coat buttons in one hole, around an inch deep. And my friend found a toasted pewter button, and I found a tombac. I am going to try a new lidar site, as this one is drying out, I will be back in the fall though.

DSC_0334.JPG DSC_0342.JPG

Upvote 12
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the research and nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The backmarks are in a very fancy large script, I believe that they say, "Gesetrono" give or take a letter or two, and then "Standard" in very simple text. I know that standard means that it is the lowest quality gilt, but I can't find any reference of any buttons with "Gesetrono" or anything similar. Thanks for looking.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day scoring some cool old buttons. I wish I had cellar holes around my parts. Sounds like fishing in a barrel type hunting. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great day scoring some cool old buttons. I wish I had cellar holes around my parts. Sounds like fishing in a barrel type hunting. :icon_thumright:

Thanks! Cellar holes can be amazing if you find one abandoned and never disturbed since around 1850, to reduce newer trash. It seems like after 1850, most cellar holes have a large amount of big Victorian iron, and trash accumulation everywhere within twenty feet of the cellar hole. It also helps also having them never have been metal detected before. I have a map of every cellar hole in one town, based on an 1850's map of a town. There were around 50 cellar holes, and half of them were public, and around 15-20 were accessible. I went to almost all of them, and each one had old metal detecting holes with trash on the side of them. I couldn't even go anywhere near the actual cellar holes because of all the iron and trash. I checked other maps and historic aerials, and realized that those cellar holes were all abandoned between around 1940-1970. I figured out that I can use lidar to see older ones in the woods, and have another one I am going to visit today a mile from my house. Good luck, I bet there are some around where you are, I hope you find one!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buttons:occasion14: Definitely go back there. With that kind of action, probably a few coins somewhere .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread