17th Century Pit yields 1600s Jetons and Charles ii Farthing,Marked Pipes and Whizzer

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found a little time for treasure hunting. Decided to go for the old stuff this time. I whipped up a small sifter and decided to go to the site I found the Latten spoons at. I was hoping to sift the more concentrated areas to see what turned up. I used the GPX to see if I could find some deeper targets that I could sift. Second target was pretty deep and I was blessed to find some ash in the hole. With hopes that it may be a trash pit I started to dig down and see if I could isolate the perimeter of the ash layer. I found a deep musket ball and a nice marked pipe stem. Suddenly the stems started coming fast and furious. I was psyched to say the least. These 1600s finds are tough here in the US. Occasionally I would pull out my pinpointer to scan for metallic objects. At one point I found 4 round metallic objects and hoped that one may be a coin. One of the objects had 2 holes in it and looked to be a button. This hunt was the most fun I've ever had treasure hunting. I could become very addicted to pit and privy digging. It was an incredible day and produced some incredible early finds. I'm hoping to get a little assistance on the coin and jetons. The pipe stems are massive and date around 1670-1680 (Llewelyn Evans) British pipe maker. Among the finds were what I believe is a small jeton, a larger jeton that was turned into a button which I consider a killer personal find. The coin I believe is a Charles ii farthing which would date from 1672-1680 I believe. There was also a nice lead whizzed toy in the pit and a strange mystery item that I can't even tell you the composition of. More than 20 pipe pieces were in the pit. So much fun pulling them out of there. I consider any 17th Century finds in the states to be very special. These will go in the 1600s display.
IMG_6070.JPG
IMG_6071.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6136.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG
IMG_6089.JPG
IMG_6091.JPG
IMG_6152.jpg
IMG_6153.jpg
IMG_6116.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6144.JPG
The mystery piece
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
This pic shows how massive these early stems are. I put them next to one that came from an 1812 pit.
IMG_6147.JPG

Upvote 53
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh crap I was going to do a post up but you really stole the show Abe! Killer sift and hunt makes one wonder what we actually walk over without knowing the depths and finds that are lurking beneath.:occasion14:

I think we would be pretty shocked. All of these old sites likely have a privvy and trash pit or 2 that we walk right over. I promise you some are packed with incredible early treasures

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries Abe, looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully there is still a lot to be dug at that site :icon_thumright:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Crazy amount of goodies concentrated in that burn pit. Hope you can thoroughly search out some more treasures there. Well done with the sifting process.:icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru. I was hoping you'd chime in. Getting a bit out of my wheelhouse with these dated finds. Wish I could locate more of them. I read that they made game tokens that were basically jeton copies. Any chance that's what I found?
They were made to be used as counting tokens. But I guess anyone could get a load & use them as 'chips'. Its the much later spade guineas that were the most popular gaming token.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'd love to get another tree coin in my collection.

Well I think you're in the right location to achieve this! These finds are smashingly good, and I can't wait to see what comes out next.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of finds Ahab. This is the sort of stuff that I enjoy seeing on tnet. Too bad there is not more of the old stuff posted here.
That privy is holding a good amount of nice finds, good luck digging the rest of it out. Makes you wonder why they were throwing coins in it.
I think I read that jetons were also used as markers to mark certain places on maps, but I could be wrong.
I have dug one lead whizzer that at first I thought was a button. I always hear the word whizzer, but still unsure how they worked. anyone care to elaborate on this.
I think you tie a string to it and make it whiz :icon_scratch:. I want to hear mine whiz.. lol.
Congrats.
P7040007.JPG

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a lot of clearing is in your future Mister Ahab. 9/10 trash pits and scatter was right next to the dwelling. I'm super excited you're back on the "old" of that site, and can't wait to see what else you find.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wild to see so many 1600 relics.
Keep em coming

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remarkable old finds Abe. Talk about exciting hunting. I can't imagine a better place for finding a major early colonial surprise. I dont have any of those old Jetons. That clear Chas II is quite a find.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG AHAB YOU DONE FINALLY FOUND THE RELICS FROM THE SHIP THAT THE WHITE WHALE TOOK TO ITS GRAVE. SEE THEY WASHED ASHORE , NICE FINDS..

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great digging, glad to see you out hitting it. The mystery piece looks a lot like fish vertebrae I find in my sifter at trash pits.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you had your lucky "spoon" up your butt that day man! Who goes out and finds a 17th century pit on the 2nd target?? And loaded with all kinds of goodies? I can tell you from experience that finding coins and tokens in an early pit is extremely unusual, but you certainly defied the odds. I love those huge, marked stems, and those maker's marks helped to precisely date the site. Wish I could have been there to see that big grin on your face as you were pulling out find after find. And I really appreciated the live update as you were in the midst of recovering those items. There should be more pits at that site, and it might take some painstaking grid probing to find them. Or you might get lucky and find another one on your first target next time. Great hunt and post, and good luck Abe ....

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds Abe.I can imagine the excitement of finding those pipe pieces as they usually indicate that some interesting relics aren't far. Great to see you posting old stuff again. Keep them coming! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread