17th Century Pit yields 1600s Jetons and Charles ii Farthing,Marked Pipes and Whizzer

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found a little time for treasure hunting. Decided to go for the old stuff this time. I whipped up a small sifter and decided to go to the site I found the Latten spoons at. I was hoping to sift the more concentrated areas to see what turned up. I used the GPX to see if I could find some deeper targets that I could sift. Second target was pretty deep and I was blessed to find some ash in the hole. With hopes that it may be a trash pit I started to dig down and see if I could isolate the perimeter of the ash layer. I found a deep musket ball and a nice marked pipe stem. Suddenly the stems started coming fast and furious. I was psyched to say the least. These 1600s finds are tough here in the US. Occasionally I would pull out my pinpointer to scan for metallic objects. At one point I found 4 round metallic objects and hoped that one may be a coin. One of the objects had 2 holes in it and looked to be a button. This hunt was the most fun I've ever had treasure hunting. I could become very addicted to pit and privy digging. It was an incredible day and produced some incredible early finds. I'm hoping to get a little assistance on the coin and jetons. The pipe stems are massive and date around 1670-1680 (Llewelyn Evans) British pipe maker. Among the finds were what I believe is a small jeton, a larger jeton that was turned into a button which I consider a killer personal find. The coin I believe is a Charles ii farthing which would date from 1672-1680 I believe. There was also a nice lead whizzed toy in the pit and a strange mystery item that I can't even tell you the composition of. More than 20 pipe pieces were in the pit. So much fun pulling them out of there. I consider any 17th Century finds in the states to be very special. These will go in the 1600s display.
IMG_6070.JPG
IMG_6071.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6136.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG
IMG_6089.JPG
IMG_6091.JPG
IMG_6152.jpg
IMG_6153.jpg
IMG_6116.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6144.JPG
The mystery piece
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
This pic shows how massive these early stems are. I put them next to one that came from an 1812 pit.
IMG_6147.JPG

Upvote 53

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool recoveries. Sifting is a lot of fun. I believe your mystery item is half of a fossilized shark vertebra.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, you just entered the world of pit digging with a huge bang! Like you posted, any 1600s relics found in the US are special and you found quite a few. The jettons and pipe stem pieces definitely belong in the display. All found in your first sifting session at that site-you need to hit that pit hard until you can't find any more relics.

Let me know if you would like to build a rocker-type sifter. It's by far the best way to go ad will enable you to sift through a large amount of dirt with the least amount of effort. I'll be glad to step you through the construction of one.

Thanks buddy and any advice from a master like yourself is of course welcomed with open arms. I must tell you it was love at first sift. I could totally get addicted to pit digging. Curious if you've ever managed to find a privy? I'm thinking of buying a probe and seeing what I can find. Guessing it's like finding a needle in a haystack. But I've got some great early sites and can only imagine the potential. Looking forward to hopefully finding more killer early pits. Pulling clumps of pipe stems out from the 1600s was so much fun.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Late to the party Abe, but it's great to see the spoils of that 17th century pit laid out. That jeton is certainly not a copper were bound to see dug again any time soon. Can't wait to see what else you turn up.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT finds! I adore privvy digging. That one was KILLER! Kudos to you.

It looks like I too will be in love with it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Ahab! Congrats! I could be wrong but the mystery piece seems to be pottery and might be a seal for a type of container.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I too think it's some sort of seal. Thanks for the thoughts

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - Awesome motivational post. Early marked pipe stems and 1600s jetons is an excellent day of digging my anyone's measure. I'm sure a lot of detectorists looking for the really early stuff have their sights set on finding an early jeton some day, but your day has come! :icon_thumright: I've had one site that produced some worthwhile results by sifting but little else. From what I see on your thread, I may need to push on just a bit more. Congrats.

With some of your killer early sites I would certainly my consider it my friend. If you hit one good pit or privy you will be a happy guy

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wowee, Abe! Loving all of it. Congrats! -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh....5th time out detecting he finds a tree coin, first time out pit digging he hits a pit full of coins, jetons and awesome pipestems [emoji3]
I love it all Abe and I agree, we need more of these awesome posts with early finds. You've got my butt motivated to dig some pits! Speaking of butts, don't sell yourself short buddy, I'm sure the spoons would fit [emoji12]

So are you saying bowl first is not the way to go? Lol
Yeah man with some of your nice early sites you should be digging out some incredible pits. Can't wait to see what you pull out

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those stems cleaned up fantastic man :occasion14: I couldn't be happier for you getting into a pit... and a pit that old at that. I can't believe the condition of those coins too man. Awesome job and cant wait to see the return trip.

Thanks buddy. You told me how fun it was and you were not wrong my friend. So much fun. We gotta figure out this privy probing deal. Gotta be some great pits at these early sites

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool recoveries. Sifting is a lot of fun. I believe your mystery item is half of a fossilized shark vertebra.

Thanks Kray. Appreciate the thoughts on the mystery

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the party Abe, but it's great to see the spoils of that 17th century pit laid out. That jeton is certainly not a copper were bound to see dug again any time soon. Can't wait to see what else you turn up.

Thanks pal. Pretty psyched to add a couple more 17th Century finds to the collection. I love these big pipe stems with the markings on them. And yes a few round discs from the late 1600s is killer

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds! I really like the pipe stems too..
I do a little pottery, and would LOVE to find one of the old colonial pipe molds, looked online but nothing yet.
Congrats on a great dig, fun to see the history.
Looking forward to more! HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt Abe!

Top Member Reactions