My First Bromo Seltzer and Two Whats-it Gear Hardware Thingys I'd Like Help IDing

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went kayaking on my local river that feeds into the Chesapeake Bay (Still Pond Creek) again and went to the site where I've found some nice old 20th century bottles including a Hires Household Extract, Mount Carbon Brewery Champagne Beer and even a local Cooper Bros Bottle from Chestertown (I will be reading an article about the company soon at the Kent County Historical Society to find out more). Without further ado, here's what I found:

My first Bromo-Seltzer bottle (beautiful cobalt blue, surely won't be my last)
DSCN6883.JPG

This weird 6" long metal rod of some sort that ends in a very crude-looking donut-esque ring of metal 2 1/4" in diameter (the protruding things on the ring are not dirt). Crazy thing is, this whole contraption only weighs about 6 ounces. What the heck is this?
DSCN6875.JPG
DSCN6876.JPG

And finally, this strange mess of metal and gears that's still somewhat intact. It's 1 3/4" in diameter, and has an inscription on one side: Pat. July 29 (93? 98? 03? 08?) I think it's most likely either 98 or 08. I'm very interested to find out what this hunk of metal and gears once belonged to, especially seeming that it's an antique from the turn of the century. Please let me know your thoughts on this and the metal rod and ring above.
DSCN6877.JPG
DSCN6884.JPG

Have fun and let me know your opinions on my strange items!

Upvote 7

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rod is part of a battery.The rod is mostly carbon accounting for the light weight.

OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rod is part of a battery.The rod is mostly carbon accounting for the light weight.

What kind of a battery would this thing be for? I've found several rods like it (without rings) and even a couple of rods with fluted sides! It's very interesting for sure.

OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, good luck sniffing out more old bottles! The carbon rod is from a dry-cell "telephone" battery, very common in old dumpsites. Pic related:
an2jwUFE.idrepGOtZE24A.jpg

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, love that bottle! Congrats and HH