Colonial shoe buckle. Hard times token. Handful of not so old silver and buttons.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally managed to go detect a bit. The fields aren't even close to be harvested so the detecting withdrawal symptoms are pretty strong this time of year. Did some research and hit 2 different sites.

Here are the results of about 5 hours hunt in total from 2 different sites (both new).

First an old (I would guess late 1700's) shoe buckle. Pulled it out of the ground in an absolutely horrible state. Was pretty sure there was nothing to be done as the iron middle part was still attached to it spreading the corrosion to the copper. After a day of cleaning I believe got a good result.

Buckle as found after washing of the dirt.

buckle 01.jpg

After a few hours of cleaning.

buckle 02.jpg

And a few more hours. The final result.

buckle 1.jpg
buckle 03.jpg
buckle 4.jpg

An other old find was an 1837 US Hard times token. Very beat but I was able to ID it.

DSC_1770.JPG DSC_1771.JPG

An other site produced much latter relics and coins. All ranging from 1905-1960 Discovered it all in the area of 30/30 feet

DSC_1749.JPG

The Canadian quarter is from 1917 the rest of silver coins range from 1940's to early 60's
The Bishop's University ring is from 1940's I believe.

20170904_203158.jpg
20170904_203142.jpg
20170904_203213.jpg

The ''Danish wooden shoe'' silver watch fob I believe is from the same period.

20170904_214726.jpg
20170904_214817.jpg

Also got a few buttons.

buttons.jpg

A good result for 5 hours of hunt,but can't wait for the fields to welcome me back.

Thanks for the comments.

Upvote 33
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice result on the shoe buckle buddy. I have found more than 20 and they're not easy to deal with sometimes. Some are incredible and perfect and done very fragile. I have a beautiful complete one from the 17th century that could easily be used today. Soil conditions are so crucial with these finds. I'm lucky to have some very gentle soul in my area. You've found some coins, buttons and other relics that cleaned up beautifully

Thanks man. I have found a few and as you said it all depends on the soil. I have some functional 17th and 18th centurie ones and than buckles from early 19th that are completely destroyed. Happy with the buckle and the token, the rest are very cool but not my favorite type of finds.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a sweet pile of silver! Not to mention the other great stuff including that buckle.

I agree. The most silver I ever pulled in 5 hours .

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great digs! I love finding shoe buckles, and yours is quite nice. Love the patina and design. All those silvers are pretty wonderful too! Congrats.

Thank you.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an awful lot of nice finds for a hunt...and an awesome job cleaning that buckle! Congratulations.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that religious medal gold?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job cleaning up that shoe buckle! That's a beauty!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
A good result for 5 hours of hunt,but can't wait for the fields to welcome me back.

That right there might be (and by "might be" I really mean "is") the understatement of the year! Well done and obviously well researched Aureus. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an awful lot of nice finds for a hunt...and an awesome job cleaning that buckle! Congratulations.

Thank you. Wasn't sure the buckle would clean up so well. A nice surprise!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forget the fields, that's a heck of a silver haul for 5 hours! [emoji23]

Thanks, but I'm a relics guy. I prefer corroded copper and pewter to relatively recent shiny silver.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pity to have to wade through all that 20th century silver in order to get to a lovely colonial shoe buckle. :laughing7: Great work on that find and restoration. Wonderful detail on those corners. Were the remains of the iron chape hanging on? From the original pic it looks like it...

Oh yeah, and that hard times token is a wonderful piece of US history! So cool that you hone in on that kind of stuff up there.

Countdown to harvest!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That right there might be (and by "might be" I really mean "is") the understatement of the year! Well done and obviously well researched Aureus. Congratulations.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pity to have to wade through all that 20th century silver in order to get to a lovely colonial shoe buckle. :laughing7: Great work on that find and restoration. Wonderful detail on those corners. Were the remains of the iron chape hanging on? From the original pic it looks like it...

Oh yeah, and that hard times token is a wonderful piece of US history! So cool that you hone in on that kind of stuff up there.

Countdown to harvest!

Thanks man. Yes, the iron was still attached to the buckle and I wasn't sure I would be able to remove it without damaging the relic. Glad it cleaned up well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread