Marathon Dig: SEVEN early Silvers and ANTEBELLUM GOLD!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shagalang and I both had Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday off (which is RARE!) so we did what sensible people would do--we went digging for three days!! :D Had no idea when we started our marathon hunt that we would break our personal records for an individual hunt, and I'd end up bringing back some ANTEBELLUM GOLD!

Here's a video of the weekend, which you'll want to see!

We decided to hunt a field where targets are thin but payoff is high when something is dug. We'd hunted the site last several years ago with success. Friday afternoon we got busy digging and Shang got a nice 1798 Spanish Silver Half Real!

IMG_5209a.jpg IMG_5265.JPG

After that excitement, we dug a few flat buttons, melted brass, and lead bits and called it a day.

Yesterday started with us back out scratching the earth, trying to scare up some more coins. Shang dug two nice civilian "flower buttons" and then yelled "Hi Ho!" when he dug a second silver. I ran over to see him grinning and hold up an 1807 Half Real!

IMG_5215a.jpg IMG_5217a.jpg IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG IMG_5263.JPG

My only consolation prize was a beautiful English Gun Flint which I eyeballed. :)

IMG_5218a.jpg

This morning we got up and out early, inspired by the previous digs. My wife, diggergirl, decided to join us since we were digging goodies ;)

First thing, Shang eyeballed a nice, larger-than-normal trade bead. I thought I might get skunked for the third day in a row, but then I dug a nice mid-range signal and out popped an 1839-O Seated Half Dime! :headbang:

212_1417.JPG 212_1421.JPG

Circled around and got another nice signal and BOOM, a second Seated Half Dime! 1841! Was sticking straight up and down in the row!

212_1427.JPG 212_1430.JPG

I decided to move out of the area and let Shang have a go, so I got way out of the iron patch and hunted the fringe area a while (I do this a lot when I've made some good finds and need to let my pulse lower some LOL). Well in this case my pulse got MUCH faster as I got a nice mid-range beep and looked down to see GOLD STICKING OUT OF THE TOP OF THE GROUND!!! My friends, one thing you NEVER see when hunting the types of sites I hunt, is GOLD. I yelled at Shang and DG to come see, and got down on my hands and knees to see.

IMG_5246.JPG

Gently prying it out of the hard dirt, it was the top of a pre-Civil War Gold Ring!! I'm completely shocked that the stone has stayed intact. Unfortunately, the loop is not intact--but I feel certain that it is in the field somewhere waiting for us.

IMG_5248.JPG

After searching around for about an hour for the missing loop, I decided to join the others. On my way toward them, I got another nice, mid-range signal and popped out a THIRD silver for the day--1842-O Seated Half Dime!!

IMG_5249.JPG IMG_5250a.jpg

Now--let me just say that we have never dug more than three silvers in one day. Well, we weren't done. Shang then goes and digs himself a BLAZING 1839-O Seated Half Dime!! Seriously, one of the finest condition Seateds we've ever dug here.

IMG_5251a.jpg IMG_5252a.jpg

It starts to get to afternoon, and DG had to go home to go to a meeting--so we reluctantly left and Shang decides to stay another hour or so. Then I get a video from Shang on the way home--silver AGAIN! 1814 Half Real!

Five silvers in one day is just crazy. Add the gold to it and I'm just in a state of shock. Here are photos of the 5 silvers dug today, for a total of 7 for the weekend.

1839obv.jpg 1839rev.jpg

1841obv.jpg 1841rev.jpg

1842obv.JPG 1842rev.jpg

IMG_5274.JPG IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5276a.jpg IMG_5275a.jpg

And the GOLD! I'm STILL shocked that this was in the ground, and survived intact for 180 years! Looks like the inner piece (around the stone) was put in, bent and shaped, and braised together. Then the outer, decorative piece was bent and braised together (note the seams), then the loop portion would have been braised onto the bottom of the ring. Any ideas what era this dates from? My hunch is Federal Era. I'm still on cloud nine over this find!

IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG IMG_1167a.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckleboy, Shangalang, and Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 54

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
That's a dream hunt, four seated half-dimes a reale AND gold, well done! I usually average about one seated half-dime and one reale a year, so to get four half-dimes in one hunt is spectacular!

That ring top is really nice, it's a shame it wasn't complete, but it is what it is, and hopefully the ring part shows up at some point.

hh,
Cal

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Man what great finds! Never gets old! Thanks everyone for the replies and of course BB for making the great posts of all our treasures!!! Ready to hit it again!!! Shanegalang- The Cane Field Bandits

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!
BB & Gang Y'all had the 'Good Condition' god's or your side as most of the Silvers look to be F -or Better.
The Reals are sweet also holes & all.

The Ring to ...'speechless'.
Thanks for posting.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never be disappointed reading your posts. You had a weekend... :hello2: Big congrats to the Bandits!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a haul of silver and gold - congrats on an extremely productive hunt. Wish we had some bare ground to hunt around here, or any ground for that matter.

That's one thing I remember all too well about hunting in VA, KY, NC, WV, and IN: waiting impatiently for harvest time! With the crop rotations in and out of soybean and sugarcane here, the only thing stopping one from hunting year round would lack of a site in "seed cane," which is basically 1/4 to 1/3 of the fields during July through October of any given year... well...that and the extreme heat and mud. I've hunted up to "103 degrees, feels like 127 degrees" before--and I don't think I'll do that again!

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a dream hunt, four seated half-dimes a reale AND gold, well done! I usually average about one seated half-dime and one reale a year, so to get four half-dimes in one hunt is spectacular!

That ring top is really nice, it's a shame it wasn't complete, but it is what it is, and hopefully the ring part shows up at some point.

hh,
Cal

Thanks so much for your kind words and congrats, Cal! I'm so happy anytime a silver turns up--but this was just an anomaly in terms of the number of coins dug. Didn't even feel real--and likely not to be repeated. (Although I've learned never to say "never" in this hobby!)

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what great finds! Never gets old! Thanks everyone for the replies and of course BB for making the great posts of all our treasures!!! Ready to hit it again!!! Shanegalang- The Cane Field Bandits

Yep! Can't Wait! Wanna have a "sick day" at work this week? :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!
BB & Gang Y'all had the 'Good Condition' god's or your side as most of the Silvers look to be F -or Better.
The Reals are sweet also holes & all.

The Ring to ...'speechless'.
Thanks for posting.

Heya Davers,

Great to hear from you! Yeah, I think those coins were all lost right around the time the site was occupied. Wear on the coins there seems to indicate roughly 1830 to mid 1840s occupation exclusively, really narrow time frame (judging from the lack of items--including very, very few buttons even!).

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never be disappointed reading your posts. You had a weekend... :hello2: Big congrats to the Bandits!

Thanks so much, Westfront! It's long been a dream to see some old gold. Gives me hope for a gold coin or complete piece of jewelry at some point!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions