A 2 Hour Hunt Yields a old Large Cent and a William H. Harrison Campaign Token

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day started with the normal clad pennies, but ended with 2 great finds!
I was searching in an early 1800's house lawn... until I saw the very old stone wall in a wooded area in the back. Was detecting in there and got a screaming 92 at 1-2" on my Ace... I had a feeling it was a large cent, and it was!

Largecent1819.JPG

The date is 1819 (hard to see in the pictures and someone put a hole through the "18" part)

Detected in the vegetation a bit, but only found junk and a more modern drawer pull.

Then I detected back on the clearer part in the wooded area and got a great signal not 2 feet from the Large Cent, showing up around 7 inches. I dug and dug and finally pulled out a huge token.

WHHpresTokenfront .JPG
WHHpresTokenback.JPG

It turned out to be this 1840 William Henry Harrison presidential Campaign Token! There is nothing for scale in my picture, but the token is about the same size as a silver dollar. I think this is a super cool find!

I am hoping to see what else turns up at this place.

GL & HH

VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old political memorabilia is so neat. Modern buttons would be gone in a few years.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! I really like that campaign token!! Nice LC find! Congrats and HH

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LC's are always cool but, pales in comparison to the giant way cool token coin!:headbang: She a real WINNER!:icon_salut:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC and the Harrison token. I dug a Harrison token, but mine is more like the size of a quarter. Never saw a large one like yours.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC and the Harrison token. I dug a Harrison token, but mine is more like the size of a quarter. Never saw a large one like yours.

I have the same one, a base metal type, almost silver dollar size and also one that is quarter size. Found the large on way back in the late 1980s, thought I had a big coin at the time. :) Nice seeing so many Presidential tokens being posted lately, they seem to come in bunches.

Attachments

• Presidential campaign medals.jpg
    Presidential campaign medals.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 49

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that Harrison token is killer! Don't know what it's worth, but any bottle from his campaign is a huge deal.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very cool token

Top Member Reactions