My first Barber Half Dollar

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to slip out for a bit yesterday evening and was hunting the back yard of one of my neighbors up the street. There were prior homesteads in the same location and and it's produced a few goodies before. Among a bunch of scattered brass lamp parts and old mason jar lids if found my first Barber Half Dollar!!!!

I guess this proves even findings one in the worst possible condition still feels good. This one was in among a bunch of burnt stuff and had a bunch of black stuff on it and is badly warped. The back side as you can see took the brunt of the heat.

20170911_191915.jpg
20170911_191940.jpg
20170911_191910.jpg

Upvote 51

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before the effects of the fire it looked pretty crisp, now it's a little too crispy. Still I wouldn't kick it out of the pouch. Congrats on the big silver.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Half Baked Barber!:headbang: Like Carolina Tom mentioned anyone can find a nice unmarred Barber half. It takes a REAL MAN to rescue one from a CONFLAGRATION!:blob8: Your bowed Barber has that special quality that tells a unique story unto itself. :hello2:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber Half. At least you can identify it as a Barber, and it still has a clear date. Even though its warped, it should fit in a cardboard 2x2 holder so you can enjoy it the rest of your life !

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good for you finding it among other targets! Isn't it great that it survived such trauma and is still beautiful despite it? It is kind of like us.each with our own degrees of trauma...and still beautiful!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations I found my first Barber Half 1900 last month. Welcome to the Barber Half Club. Doesn't it feel great!! :))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that barber 1/2! Nice! :icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL!
I'd be proud to dig that one, congratz

John85

Oct 16, 2015
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your Half Dollar Find!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's a great find! Even slightly overcooked it looks to have full liberty in the headband.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's a great find! Even slightly overcooked it looks to have full liberty in the headband.

Yep my theory is that it was fairly new when dropped and landed face down right where someone was building a bon fire.
I'm just waiting for my 705 to get back from the repair center and for a bit of rain before I go back. We have had zero rain in almost a month and the ground is super hard, plus moisture in the dirt will help to find out what might lie below.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep my theory is that it was fairly new when dropped and landed face down right where someone was building a bon fire.
I'm just waiting for my 705 to get back from the repair center and for a bit of rain before I go back. We have had zero rain in almost a month and the ground is super hard, plus moisture in the dirt will help to find out what might lie below.

Your theory sounds about right, hopefully they dropped more for you to find.

We've only had a few millimetres of rain in the last three months, so I feel your pain!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Mzjavert, it's a silver half with a cool story. Nice salvage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread