pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It only takes one target to make the hunt and I got it on the return lap of the long field. One spoon, two plough points, and one little 1891 Five Cent piece, bitterly known as a fish scale. One silver one big field I'm happy.http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=5-cents-1891&years=5-cents-1858-1941

IMG_20170912_174020562.jpg P1020402.JPG P1020406.JPG IMG_20170912_174914638.jpg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well washingtonian , your wish has been granted ! They are called half dimes ( as opposed to nickels or fish scales ) but silver they are !!! (1794 -1873)

Yup the Half Dimes are the same size but a tad bigger at 1.24gr. where as the Fish Scales were 1.17gr. either way both are hard little silver to pop out it seems.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found two of them in Michigan. Love those coins. A super find in great condition as far as I am concerned. Great save!

Thanks SD

They're a great little reward for sure, one that I never get tired of seeing in a dirt clump.

Yeah, I know. I ain't found a single one of them confounded things either!?!:BangHead::cussing::help::laughing7:

Ah patience there Kurios, it will happen one day and when it does we'll be hearing about it I'm sure.:icon_thumright:

Heck, judging by the picturesque looking spot and beautiful day I'd have been content to dig rusty iron targets all day. Finding that sweet little highly detailed silver beauty would have caused me to make a bit of a fool of myself in front of the wild critters out there in nature's splendor. Then I'd probably have laid down in that nice green grass and taken a nap.:sleepy4: Congrats on a really nice one there mate.:icon_salut:

Thanks Kurios

I've been driving by this field for years and having my iron patch site over run by cows:dontknow:(They must of came home) I carried on down the permission line. Its cool to drive miles down a road knowing that it doesn't matter what field belongs to who, because the permission is granted for all of them, kind of takes out that thought process of asking.
Not a lot of anything in this field as I expected, but enough to say there was something. Targets are all deep, and its heavy clay. :(

That 5 cent piece is in incredible condition.

Congratulations

Thanks for the reply ATW

It's one of the nicer ones I've dug up that's for sure. Hope is going well in the new locale.

Thanks Casper

Hope the waters are treating you well.

That's some great fishing.

Thank you Mzjavert

Once in a while one catches a keeper.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done PJ! Such nice condition too.

It is amazing how something so small, really is a big deal to us. I would be thrilled to have found that little rascal.

Congrats on the score, and best of luck to you sir.

DigginDoc

Aug 6, 2017
BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Tesoro Eldorado, Silver, F4, F1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. I have found a couple of later ones.
Congrats
Doc

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well washingtonian , your wish has been granted ! They are called half dimes ( as opposed to nickels or fish scales ) but silver they are !!! (1794 -1873)

Yes but silver fishscales were minted until 1921

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome. Always great to find a fishscale. Not an easy task. Great condition, congratulations!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that baby is crisp. All it takes is one to make a good day great

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great small silver, which makes it a better find! You have all my respect, finding such a small silver in such a large field ;) Congrats! Silvermonkey, they're called Fish Scale just because of their tiny size (diameter 15,5 mm)

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well done PJ! Such nice condition too.

It is amazing how something so small, really is a big deal to us. I would be thrilled to have found that little rascal.

Congrats on the score, and best of luck to you sir.

Thanks Tom

They're one of my favourite coins, so small and delicate looking. The only other coin that still rents space is my 1858 20 cents piece, much harder one to obtain.
Hope that sky's are blue again for your hunting.

That's a pretty un congrats

Thanks Trap

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin. I have found a couple of later ones.
Congrats
Doc

Thanks Doc

My best shape for the Fishscales is a 1858, I'll remember digging it about ten years ago. I'll have to sit down one day and sort out the yrs to see what's missing besides the big $$$ one.

Yes but silver fishscales were minted until 1921

Sadly-but the big nickel design was great also.

Awesome. Always great to find a fishscale. Not an easy task. Great condition, congratulations!

Thanks Aureus

One never knows when one will pop up, though it's been slim pickings these past few yrs.

Wow that baby is crisp. All it takes is one to make a good day great

Thanks Abe

Hope your planning another trip out soon, your finds really inspire us poor soil diggers here.

Great small silver, which makes it a better find! You have all my respect, finding such a small silver in such a large field ;) Congrats! Silvermonkey, they're called Fish Scale just because of their tiny size (diameter 15,5 mm)

Thanks Bill
It was kind of a fluke really, nothing around just a few iron grunts, but I'm thinking maybe the house was in the back field or across the road even.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thin silver coin - like a fish scale. I get it. I thought you had literally found an old fish scale. :icon_scratch:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pepper, that's a really sweet little scale! My best condition dug Vicky is also an 1891 fish scale, but I think yours is even a bit better. Congrats on such a sharp coin!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, nearly mint condition!

Thanks underminer

It's a nice one indeed.
All the best in your shoreline recoveries.

Thin silver coin - like a fish scale. I get it. I thought you had literally found an old fish scale. :icon_scratch:

Thanks STC

HA HA I kind of thought that when I reread the heading. Its kind of like reading "Real nice trime" Years back I did a :icon_scratch:

Hey pepper, that's a really sweet little scale! My best condition dug Vicky is also an 1891 fish scale, but I think yours is even a bit better. Congrats on such a sharp coin!

Thanks J Cache

It seems that certain years are in better shape over others, not sure why. Though I have read and heard that the Fish Scales have a tendency to be more prolific in your neck of the woods. True or false?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J Cache

It seems that certain years are in better shape over others, not sure why. Though I have read and heard that the Fish Scales have a tendency to be more prolific in your neck of the woods. True or false?

I haven't heard they are more plentiful out here, but if my dig ratios are any evidence I'd have to agree. Since 2010 I've dug 28 fish scales, yet only 6 Canadian large cents.

I bet you've dug an endless pile of large cents, how many fish scales have you unearthed?

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love the rare times they come out looking that good. They're rare enough to even find let alone in that condition. Awesome find! [emoji2][emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread