Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to MD a 1910 house here in my neighborhood today. Spent about 3 hrs and got through the front yard. Backyard is later this week. I was INCREDIBLY happy with the targets dug as far non trash content. It feels like I am getting the hang of ID these coins on the Xterra finally.

$1.41 in clad! Just one lonely Wheat penny. A ring too!! I think it is one of those kids mood rings. It was all nasty but lime juice cleaned it up. Quite baffled to find this much change and no silver or more Wheats. I wonder if someone hit the yard sometime in the 90s and cleaned it out... might all be recently dropped (20 years). Either that or the neighborhood here was build in the 50s and the roads put in... Its possible when that happened a lot of dirt was filled into that front yard and the real stuff is now over 10 inches down. I am anxious to hit the backyard and I hope to find a tad different items :) as in Silver!

20170912_181712.jpg 20170912_181712.jpg

Upvote 14

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
could be more dirt fill on top

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or a coil has been intimate with the ground--- and they cherry picked the good stuff :BangHead::dontknow:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's in there. Work through the initial disappointment and you'll get there. I was going to make this a short response but I have a (abridged) story. Once I had a site dating from 1654. It took me three weeks to find my first large cent but I kept working through the junk. Then came state coppers, Spanish silver, KG 1's and 2's, gold, early US silver, and two hammered Spanish silver cobs. Before all that, the first few weeks I Mother-F'd the site, thought it was hit, and thought for sure it was covered in fill. Nope, I just needed to calm down, collect myself, and move slow. This site was a historic one, and has a museum now filled with recovered artifacts. And I almost gave up.

Good luck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in there. Work through the initial disappointment and you'll get there. I was going to make this a short response but I have a (abridged) story. Once I had a site dating from 1654. It took me three weeks to find my first large cent but I kept working through the junk. Then came state coppers, Spanish silver, KG 1's and 2's, gold, early US silver, and two hammered Spanish silver cobs. Before all that, the first few weeks I Mother-F'd the site, thought it was hit, and thought for sure it was covered in fill. Nope, I just needed to calm down, collect myself, and move slow. This site was a historic one, and has a museum now filled with recovered artifacts. And I almost gave up.

Good luck

Excellent reply Mr. Scrappy sir. A wise word of encouragement for us all. If your working centuries old dirt and the abode of several generations you can expect to work through many "layers" of history. I think I have a few sights like this currently. Filling my pouch with the more "modern" and trash targets does get tedious but, the few keepers that have surfaced give me hope that my efforts are not in vain. Keep after it mate. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support everyone! Kurios and Scrappy those both put a smile on my face
I will update once I hit the backyard more. This site is definitely one full of iron as well, so swinging in AM is not an option. I have it pretty heavily discriminated out, but from testing previously it didnt effect the distance TOO much. I think I am going to bring an old silver with tmr to bury and check first to see if the mineralization (Spelling??)there is doing anything wonky to the detection. Although I am in fertile central MN so its mainly black dirt for a foot or two. I would just hate to pass them up haha!
I also have a 1890s site I hit recently which turned up a TON of trash, a 1909 wheat, and a 1940 wheat, within about 6 hrs. It seemed odd I wasn't picking any silver from there or some more wheats.

If anyone out there using a Xterra 705 sees this and has tips on silver I would love them! :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on bringing non ferrous targets to the surface. I know for a fact that an iron nail has a tendency to mask a silver dime when it is buried vlose to it.
Keep after it and it will happen.

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I would come update this thread... although nothing much too say I wanted to close it up haha

I got back to that 1910 house today and began hitting the backyard. Side note, storm was moving through causing serious chatter on the Xterra! In the backyard I was getting piles of Iron similar to the front, but after about a half hour still no coin. I spent about 2 hours back there, switched back to my coinshooting mode, and only ended up with a modern dime and a modern penny. I then seen the neighbors across the park pulling in and I knew that house pre-dated the 1910 I was at. I went and had a pleasent chat, they said sure I could detect around, and I went at it. Approx two or so hours later I had a zincoln. One..... I then hit the last old house on the park whom I had gained permission to a week or so ago. After about a half hour of zero targets I just gave up the search for the day. If I had to make an educated guess, I believe I MD'er has explored these few yards already. They are all right on the park, and obviously old, so anyone there would have picked those three doors to knock on in the past. And I see about 3 Mders a year in my park. I have found multiple silvers in my yard, which is also on the park, which is why I really feel those yards have been hit. Also the lack of clad/wheats is too puzzling for a yard that old to not have.

Darn!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy is all over it!

One of my sites, looked awesome... but the first two trips (2 hours each time) yielded clad and trash... I almost gave up. I was on the way home one night, and decide to give the place the last 30 minutes before dark, and I found 2 mercs.

Since then, I've found IHCs, buff, V nickel, LC and 10 more silvers... plus a ton of relics.

Dig all repeatable signals... I don't care what they sound like, dig don't think!

Good luck!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, scrappy and kurios both are spot on. I gridded a smaller lot that dates back some time and only found modern clad....then went back a few months later and removed some more targets then got an 1889 indian, merc, and a 1906 5 centavos coin. There's more too I just know it. That dirt will change, coins will turn, different EMI conditions all play a role. I never believed it until I saw it myself. Good luck!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that not every old home site is loaded with old coins. Why? Lots of reasons. Maybe several generations of home owners who were miserly and rarely carried money around. Maybe there are old coins but they are covered with decades of more modern trash targets. Maybe there used to be old coins there but a previous owner was a detectorist (or friends or family member was) and is was hunted hard over many years. Maybe there were old coins but the yard has been graded off or had large amounts of fill added.

In 35 years of detecting I have hunted countless residential yards, many side by side. There is zero way of knowing if you are going to find the goods or not. I have had "silver mine" yards with nothing next door. Yards filled with pennies only, yards with halves and quarters.

What I have discovered is that it seems to be the smaller-end middle income homes that produce the best. Wealthy homes seem to have very little, and the low-income are often filled with garbage. The "working family" homes from 1900 - 1960 seem to have the best mix of having money to carry around, not being misers, and keeping nice yards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread