Native American Lead Animal Effigy - A 300+ Year Old Duck and Other Finds

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This find is a good reminder of the importance of proper identification. I recovered this carved piece of lead in a wooded area earlier in the year. It’s a flattened piece of lead in the form of a duck.

9-12-17 pic download 035edit.jpg

I had found a child’s toy years ago in the form of tiny ax made from molded lead; accordingly, I dismissed the image of the duck as a toy as well — a very old, interesting toy, but only a toy. Recently I was researching further :read2: on the cast pewter trade pipe that I posted back in May, and to my complete surprise, I came upon details of similar lead-shaped animal objects. It turns out that the lead duck is a 17th century Native American lead animal effigy, most certainly of the Narragansett Tribe of southern New England. I viewed online other effigy ducks made of stone recovered in neighboring Connecticut. Lead specimens representing many other animals have been recovered as well. See photos provided below. They are also referred to as totems or charms.

123.jpg

125.jpg

A few other recent finds — a shoe buckle frame and a late 1800s clay tobacco pipe that I found on the shoreline of a cove. I don’t often recover clay pipes intact. While the shoe buckle came from an area around the ruins of a barn, the main cellar hole is now buried underneath a modern home. :sad11:

9-12-17 pic download 044.JPG

I will be posting a long overdue follow-up on a thread for one of my past banner finds, so keep a look out for an update if you're interested.

Upvote 32

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great research on the effigy and killer find. So many may have thrown it away thinking it was a lead blob before giving is a proper look. Anyway, the duck looks great man. Your other finds are great as well, the intact pipe bowl is incredible considering where it was found. Still looking for my first intact one myself.

Cheers

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research on the effigy and killer find. So many may have thrown it away thinking it was a lead blob before giving is a proper look. Anyway, the duck looks great man. Your other finds are great as well, the intact pipe bowl is incredible considering where it was found. Still looking for my first intact one myself.

Cheers

Scrappy - I appreciate your reply. I'll be sending you a PM. You'll get that pipe sooner or late.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds. Glad you didn't just throw it away. I like that pipe. The closest I have come to finding a full one, is finding one with the bowl and half the stem. It was clay.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting the ID on the lead effigy of the duck, it's always of a case of many times lead is way underrated. It really makes one think about the history that surrounds finds like these, and thank you posting it up.
Nicely done on the recovery of the pipe, it's still on the want list to get one intact.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a nice refind that is. Looks like I best be checking my blobs of lead. Congrats buddy on making such a cool discovery. Your research is always impressive

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy - I appreciate your reply. I'll be sending you a PM. You'll get that pipe sooner or late.

About three years ago I believe I found an Otter made of lead. It was a dead ringer so I kept it and submitted it to the museum on the property where it was found. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I'll stop down there for a snapshot. I listed it as a possible lead child's toy ca. 18th century, but I didn't even consider it Native American. I looked at your reference and didn't see an otter listed, but I still think it's probable because it's a distinctive regional critter. If it is NA, it would certainly make it 17th century as well since the Native population was wiped out here by 1700.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just love the education I get from fellow members.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and follow up research. Another reason to keep everything.

That pipe may have been much longer originally. Some were quite long.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job on the effigy identification, I would have had no idea.

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that duck is realy a great find ! i probebly melted it in to fishing lead .
great job !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow that duck is realy a great find ! i probebly melted it in to fishing lead .
great job !

This is one shining example of ones research can help others down the road in saving a piece of history. In this case it might of ended up as Duck Shot.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find thank you for sharing a bit of American History! Reinforces my belief that one should never scuff off a find, you never know what you are going to turn up.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I, like many others, would've probably thrown that lead chuck in the junk pile. As you have proven many times, it always pays to perform due diligence in these situations, and it paid off yet again. Very nice Jim!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread